How safe is it to burn scraps in the fireplace?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Mar 3, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have a lot of chunks of wood from cutting out bodies and necks. Are any of them unsafe to burn in the fireplace? I know Ken does burn his scraps but I am assuming that is in a exhausted furnace. Also some of the scraps have tightbond 1 in them is that a problem? Thanks….tom
  2. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Probably won't hurt. Just not too much at once. I've got one of those Mexican chiminea things in the backyard. I put it just outside the shop door when I'm out there working and burn my scrap on cold days, which are far and few between in my part of Texas.
  3. They asked that question on the MIMF and it was the concensus like the budman said - not a problem just don't breathe it.

I'll tell you though, you'll get some real hot fires from some of this stuff. I've burned some walnut that was real hot and there was something else in a pile I burned once but it got black too fast for me to tell what it was.

I've pulled together all of my "crap scraps" and will start a little bonfire this weekend.
  4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    "Just don't breath it" If it is a fireplace in your house you will breath some of it. I justwonder if that little bit is a problem?.Thanks for the responses..t
  5. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I think it depends on the wood; if it is something really nasty like purpleheart I wouldn’t try it.
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Wood scraps will not be any problem. Some may smell funny, but you're not supposed to burn it without a chimney.
    OK, there may be some poisonous species, that I know nothing about - I stay away from exotic stuff if I can.

Glue is another matter. To burn glue, you need a closed fireplace. PVa is not a big deal, but epoxi is! And I have no clue on aliphatic glues.
  7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

You need to be careful about what you burn. I cut done a pine tree in my back yard. When I asked the stump grinder guy about burning the wood, he emphatically said NO! I know that you aren't working with pine, but be careful. You may want to talk to your local fire department about what is safe to burn. Son't burn any spalted wood. The spalting of wood is created by fungi that infect the wood. I'm sure you know about the precautions you need to take when working with spalted wood. I'm sure that the same is true of burning it. Burning the spalted wood will release those fungal spores in your house. You don't need that! With the hurricane damage many people have sustained here in Florida, lots of people have had to evacuate their homes due to certain types of mold and fungi.

Also, it's not just what you breathe while it burns, but what kinds of wood create ashes and debris that accumulates inside of the chimney. If enough accumulates, it can cause a fire under the right circumstances. I'm not an expert on any of this, but I know you just can't throw anything you want in the living room fireplace.