1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How safe is it to buy a fender MIM online?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demon, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Im asking cos ive heard some are good while some are crap. Right now i have a squier precision and i was wondering, if i got a MIM ordered, would it be a big step up from a squier?

2. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Some suck some don't. Same goes for MIA's. With Fender, it can be a crapshoot. Depends if it was made on a monday rather than a friday.

3. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Really IMO this goes for any production basses...not just Fenders. The same model can vary in tone as well as construction no matter if its Spector,Yamaha,Warwick etc ...but i wouldnt worry as long as you can send it back.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Personally, I would never buy a bass or guitar online from anywhere, even if its a reputable brand or dealer.

No two basses/guitars sound or play exactly the same. (even the same models) So I have to play a few of the different models before making my final selection. Also, if youre looking for a Fender, they're so common that you dont need to shop on line for them. Theyre everywhere. So again, I say always play before you buy.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I would want my bass to be made on a Thursday.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk that buying a MIM is fine online. I feel that most bad Fenders only play badly because they sit in GC for a while, and the setup goes to crap. Buy one new, and set it up yourself. If you are the first hands to play it, it should be fine.

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay. To the people who havent realized,i live in sweden, thus taxes make the price go up by almost 30% almost. Thus i wont by it here.

8. I've bought several MIM Fenders online, some for me and two for my son, all with fine results; most companies like MF or Music 123 have solid return policies. IMHO the quality control for MIM instruments has improved greatly since 2001. I know the issue's been beaten to death, but the MIM Fenders are a good value. I've had several MIAs over the years (bougth one for $199.00 in 1972!) and currently have two MIJ P-basses (and two MIM Jazz, one fretless). Since you're in Sweden, perhaps you can find a used MIJ (Japan) as a great alternative.

9. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    I bought a MIM Fender from MF online and it has a wicked bad dead spot. I don't know if it would have kept me from buying it if I'd been able to try it out first but it is one of those little pitfalls.

10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!!

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    In the past 2 years I got 4 MIM (a Classic 60's Jazz, a Jazz Standard, a fretless Jazz Standard and a P-Bass Special)....no issues with any. I got mine from Musiciansfriend.com and Music123.com

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'd rather buy from an online place with constantly rolling fresh stock than pick from 1 or 2 sitting in a store for 3 years.

The quality of MIMs has gone up over the years. Buy from MF, and you will get a 2006 one. Very likely that you'll be pleased.

12. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Dave, did you notice in time that you could have taken advantage of the 45 day return policy??

13. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Ask yourself this, would you go into a store and buy the first Fender you see without touching it or even looking at it?

14. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    No, but it wouldtn be out of the box then , would it:)? Do you think a site like thomann will have one of the newer ones?