How scratched up are the backs of your basses?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Minger, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    This is a dumb question, but since the back of my SX is black, it shows all of the (really light) scratches, and its driving me insane. I mean, its nothing deep, but its still there when reflected off of light, and just annoys me to no end.

I guess I'm just posting this so I don't feel alone, but how are your guys' instruments?
  2. 5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    I carved in a Frank Zappa quote into the backof my fretless Jazz bass, the whole "Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..." from the Packard Goose. And to signy the quote I drew the caricature of his mustache from the cover of the FZ plays FZ album.
  3. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I noticed that the other day on my Tribute...The front of the bass is sunburst, but the back of it is all black. When it's in the right light it shows every little scratch. Dosn't bother me tho. I don't play that side of the bass. I don't really see the backside very often.
    So it's going to be all right. :)
  4. The back of my Modulus was pretty scratched up after 10 years of playing.. Doug Wimbish signed it and I put a piece of 3M protective clear tape on it. So, no more scratches since then.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You use a bass, it's going to get scratched and dinged up. Nothing you can do about it, really, unless you're one of those people who wears clothes with no zippers or belts, stands in one place when they play, never takes it out of the case until the exact moment they start playing, and puts it away the second they're done. All my basses have various scratches and dings. That's the way it goes. Basses are meant to be played, not to be displayed.
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, I refuse to wear my hoody just because t hey all have zippers when playing it - that, and I get warm, so it goes off anyways.

Eh, oh well. My green Ibanez that I got a while back is pretty beat but heck, the color (green, teal, whatever you want to call it) makes up for it.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My 92 Jazz has a ton of scratches on the back. I used to wear suspenders or braces on stage, and that was my main stage bass between 92 and 99 or it's got a ton of wear. My 73 Precision also is scratched up pretty good, but its hard to tell as much as between the dings, weather checking and general wear, the scratches are just part of the mosaic of the bass.
  8. c'mon man, it's an SX. :smug:

seriously tho, play the thing, stop rubbing it with a diaper.
  9. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Scratches, dents dings and paint chipped off. It's played not babied. Oh and most of my basses date from the '60's trhough the 80's. They still play great. May look like crap but play great.
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If you are spending time looking at the back of the instrument, then you aren't spending enough time playing it. Don't worry about it. It's not an heirloom. It's a bass.
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I wear my bass high, and my nipples ain't jagged.
  12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    From playing DB, I got the old adage (maybe just my instructor's), "I don't trust a bass without some scratches on it."

My Jazz has just a few dings on the headstock and some light body scratching.