Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how should a bass player go about finding a band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Japer, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Japer

Japer

Jul 25, 2002
    Illinois
    just wondering a good way to find a local band

2. Eulogist

Eulogist

Nov 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The traditional routes are ads in local zines and flyers in music stores.

If you're talented I recommend holding out for an established gigging band, even though it may take a while.

I've been forced to consider this option with my own band that I've been playing with since high school.

3. All of the above, plus go to jam nights. They'll be advertised in local gig guides. Often, you may be the only bassist that shows up, so ya may get to jam all night, with a whole bunch of different people. This will not only give you the best experience you will ever get, but get your name and face known on the scene. If you do get asked to join a band, join up by all means, but still keep your eyes open for something else. There's nothing wrong with being in 2 or 3 different bands, and then if one folds, you're still in there. Have a business card printed that you can give away to anyone and everyone, ya never know where it might end up.

4. Japer

Japer

Jul 25, 2002
    Illinois
    thanks for the help:)

5. When you go to jam nights, do you take your own bass?

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Not forgetting of course that miracle of modern technology, the internet ;)

Both the projects I'm working with at the moment have come from posting on musicians message boards with a local focus. I occassionally did a search for "bass player" bassist wanted +london or something similar until I identified some suitable message boards then followed them for a while until some opportunities came up.

Wulf

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Yes you do.

8. my theory seemed to work well,all i did was practice like crazy assuming that some day i would be ready and someone would here theres this guy who practices for 6 hrs a day,and they would come looking for me,it worked
    peace
    frank

9. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    It has to be damp, try looking under a rock.

10. I posted an ad on a local internet resource called www.sfmusician.com
    The guys that I met up with are really great, as is the band. I couldn't be happier with how it worked out.
    The site I mentioned is specifically for the San Francisco area, but you should search around for a similar thing for your area.