Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How should a cab be transported?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Aug 26, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

One common problem where I live is that many gigs take place in small and far towns with very bad roads, so the band bus "shakes" a lot and gets very dusty. My question is, when a cab is being transported in such circumstances, how should the cones be facing to avoid damage? Options are:

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

Maybe an unnecessarily graphic post, but anyway, just making sure I'm clear. Also, i'd like to know if the enclosure is enough to protect the speakers (plus a bag to cover them from dust) or if there are sort of shockproof road cases for cabinets. Thank you in advance for your input!

2. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Well I always transport them top up (number 1). That's the way they make them to stand, so thats the way I do it.

Might not be the best, but it works.

3. Placing a short across the speaker terminals helps limit the cones from flopping around. Make yourself a shorted plug for each cab and transport them face up or face down, I don't think it matters which.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

It makes sense, but I've been told that the speakers should move in the same direction as when they're working, so according to that, #1 is the worst option because when the bus shakes, which most likely will happen like ^v, the cone will suffer the most. That's why I'm asking.

5. i dont think i follow you

im thinking about electrical short, ie a jack plug that just has a bit of wire joining both points on the same plug, i cant see how that'd stop the speakers moving tho . . . :confused:

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I always load my cabs like #2 whenever I can #1 if we are short on space but never #3

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    There are companies out there that build flight cases for cabs, but they're big and expensive. To protect your gear for the long haul though, I'd probably get one.

I always transport my cab upright, just as if it were being used. It's just easier for me.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Until someone shows me some definitive proof to the contrary, I will transport mine anyway they fit in my car. IMO, there is no discernable difference to longevity no matter which way they are transported.

9. The majority of the movement during transport is up and down from the potholes in the road.

The graphic options 1 & 2 can put a strain on the voice coil, the screws that attach the speaker and on the magnet.

Option 3 is your best bet as the voice coil moves up and down with the bumps, no strain on either the magnet structure or the speaker attachment device (screws, bolts or whatever has been implemented).

Just my .02 worth, change may vary with individual state to state road taxes. ;)

BEAR

10. As long as your cab isn't a p.o.s. then I really think you have nothing to worry about. The weight of the coil and cone won't cause much movement and even if it DID it wouldn't be anywhere near the movement as if the cab were being used. The only time I would ever transport like #3 is if it was raining. Don't want to get those paper cones wet when the hatch/trunk is open you know...

11. Option #1 is only OK if your drivers have a cast frame.
    If they dont then always use option #2 or #3.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Can anyone show proof that it makes a difference?

13. I would really like to see proof. So far it just seems like meaningless bass watercooler babble. We are such nerds...

14. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    +1

I've checked my cabs in as luggage on airplanes with just a cardboard box around them. If you are worried about how to place it in your vehicle, you probably need a better quality cab.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    And I thought I was anal! ;)

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I usually transport my cabs with the cones facing up. This is way way the cones travel naturally. In addition, the center of gravity is lower face up and face down to minimize tip over. With my old BXR 300C I had a cover, so I didn't worry about the elements, but with my Avatar, I don't have one yet so any small scatches/nicks happen to the back end, leaving the front nice and clean looking.

As for proof, you'd probably have to go to the manufacturer (or local college physics labs) and request stress tests

17. get mythbusters on it!
    NOW

18. +1,000,000

When a car goes down a bumpy road, the g-forces are in all directions, not just up and down or side to side. So the speaker will be vibrating in all directions no matter what orientation the speaker has been placed.

And furthermore, the surround and spider certainly should be elastic enough and resilient enough to return to the proper position afterwards. If they weren't resilient enough to handle those forces, they wouldn't withstand the forces on them while the speaker is being played!!

So I put the cab in the vehicle any way it fits. :cool:

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    interesting...

care to expound and teach?

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm not so sure about this...the speaker is designed to move in a lineal fashion, not side to side, to produce sound waves (which also move lineal). That being the case, the surround and spider are indeed elastic, but not really designed to move as well transversely (side to side). Think of this. Take a rubber band....it's easy to stretch it length-wise, right...but try to stretch it width-wise :eyebrow:

Same material, very elastic, but designed to stretch only one way efficiently because of the way the fibers run.

Meat is like this too. Cut with the grain and it's tough and chewy, cut against it...nice and tender Physics lesson over.