1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how should i... always alright?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Unemploid, Jul 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. i wondering if i should focus muting the second note and how?

right at the beginning of the song you hold the A7 (A string 7th fret) then strike it, then repeat. should i really concern myself stopping the second hit from ringing too long?

Oddly likes this.
  2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Alabama Shakes is a great band, and Zac has amazing "feel" on the bass. You've picked a good band to study!

Note duration is one of the most important skills for a bassist. Every player should understand how to play "legato" (long notes that ring out for their full duration), "staccato" (short notes that are quickly muted so there is a silence before the next note), and everything in between.

A few tips. These aren't meant to be critical or discouraging. I'm just trying to steer you in a direction that I think will benefit your playing.
    1. One of my teachers told me "each note tells a story and should have a beginning, middle, and end." How you stop your notes from ringing out when it's time for them to end is just as important as how you pluck notes to start the sound.
    2. Turn off the video game ;) and watch some live video of the Alabama Shakes. Study what Zac is doing with his left hand. Study what Zac is doing with his right hand. Use your ears to try and make your bass sound (as close as you possibly can) just like his bass.
    3. Learn how to "transcribe" songs, meaning, you listen to the song and write it out in music notation (or in TAB if you can't read/write notation yet). Nothing will help you understand and remember a song better than learning it by ear and writing it down on paper.
    4. Finally, a thought provoking comment meant to challenge you: The bass line at that point in the song is very simple, just two notes. Whenever you play a "simple" bass line, don't say "this is easy," turn off your brain, and play on autopilot! Use the "simple" bass line as an opportunity to focus on other aspects of your playing, such as note duration in this case.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I hear the 1st note short and the 2nd one long. Ed Friedland says in his Blues Bass book that this is the "Jimmy Reed" feel.

Nashrakh, Whousedtoplay and Unemploid like this.
  4. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Yes, the bass player tries to emphasize the off-beat notes in that shuffle pattern.
    The first note is short followed by the rest(!).
    The second shuffle note is long and played with some microdelay - "behind-the-beat" feel.
    From Ed Friedland's article in "Bass Player".
    Blues You Can Use: Shufflin'

"The key to a killer shuffle lies in the space between the first and third beats of the triplet. Any veteran blues, jazz, or R&B player will tell you—some shuffles are wider than others."

"Two common interpretations of the shuffle rhythm on bass (a.k.a. the “double stroke”) are staccato or legato. The shorter version leaves a gap on the second beat of the triplet (Ex. 2), while the first beat sustains through the second beat as in Ex. 3. The staccato shuffle fits well when the drummer uses a tightly closed hi-hat. When the drummer switches to the ride cymbal, a legato shuffle in the bass supports the groove nicely."

5. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    This song is straight eighths. Ain't no shuffle.

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  6. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Yes, you are absolutely correct.
    The bass plays some straight notes with some subdivided 16th notes.
    It's not a straight shuffle. No.
    I forgot the "slang" word for the "one 8th followed by 2 16th notes" rhythmic pattern.
    Also, what would be the name for the rhythmic pattern of "one 8th followed by one 16th rest and one 16th note"?
    Thank you in advance.

Here is a short clip of that "feel".
    https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...5/?temp_hash=ea1ec12d086c285e284eb26048cc895f

Attached Files:

7. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS

Attached Files:

8. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
  9. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I don't recall ever knowing what those are called on the bandstand.

10. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Yes, it's an amateur "colloquial" term. Thank you for your answer.

11. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    That RockSmith is off--- as someone else said the song is actually straight eighth notes- played ever so slightly staccato and a little lazy.

12. Ubisoft's note trackers don't really have my confidence.
    They fouled up the guitar part on Smoke on the Water & there are minor discrepancies on Purple Haze as well.
    If even I notice it, their DLCs are probably chock full of errors.

I tune in to their Twitch feed on Thursday evenings & they explain their process pretty well sometimes, and again, it's not breeding confidence from me.
    Considering what they do, it's probably difficult work, but it appears there is no verification with the recording artist & they probably don't even look at videos of the artist performing the songs.

13. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    When you hear the song, what do you hear the bassline doing? How would you tap along to the bassline?

14. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Now that's the question!

Andre678 and ThePresident777 like this.
  15. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Calling the E on the A string A7 makes my brain hurt

Malarkey and Nashrakh like this.
  16. i just wanna confirm that i know that the note is E.

devnulljp likes this.