1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How should I arrange the pedals on my board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gbass75, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Hey everyone on TalkBass!

There are those who say "there's no such thing as a stupid question;" so, here it goes..! :confused:

Though, I've played bass for many years; it's only recently that I've dabbled in various effects. That said, I'm a complete novice in this department; and, I was hoping the good folks within this forum could help me determine the best way to arrange/order the pedals I currently have in my arsenal.

I'd like to get these fixed to a pedalboard; so I don't have to keep wasting 15 minutes of rehearsal time getting things set up!

Here's what I have:

BOSS Flanger (BF-3)
    BOSS Bass Chorus (CEB-3)
    BOSS Digital Reverb/Delay (RV-3)
    EBS Octabass
    EBS Multi-Comp
    DigiTech Bass Syth Wah/Bass Envelope Filter
    Xotic Effects BB Bass Preamp
    Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Booster

Admittedly, I'm not even sure how to best make use of some of one or two of these (the EBS Multi-Comp, for example); but, every one of them certainly serves a purpose.

Can you help me?!?

Thanks (in advance) for all your wonderful advice!

Respectfully,

~G.

2. ...here's my first attempt at a proper order:

Bass to...

Snark Stage/Studio tuner, to...

DigiTech Synth Wah/Envelope Filter, to...

EBS Multi-Comp, to...

Xotic BB Bass Preamp, to...

EBS Octabass, to...

BOSS Flanger (BF-3), to...

BOSS Bass Chorus (CEB-3), to...

Electro-Harmonix LPB-1, to...

So, what do you think?

Please let me know... and, thanks again!

~G

3. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    There is no definite answer to your question, but here's what I would do:

EBS Multi-Comp
    EBS Octabass
    BOSS Flanger (BF-3)
    BOSS Bass Chorus (CEB-3)

Stuff like the MultiComp and the LPB-1 can serve totally different purposes depending where you put them in the chain. Try to mix it up a little and experiment, it's the best way to discover what your pedals can do and what works for your sound.

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider

I'd also experiment a lot, but would start with this^^^^, except I'd have the BSW between the comp and octabass. Out of curiosity, I'd give the XOtic a shot at last place in the chain.

5. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Here's what I'd do:

Bass to:

EBS Multi-Comp
    EBS Octabass
    BOSS Flanger (BF-3)
    BOSS Bass Chorus (CEB-3)

To the amp.

Just what I'd do, not necessarily correct.

6. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Supporting Member

I respectfully disagree with placing the compressor anywhere before the envelope filter. The envelope filter is activated based on the dynamics of your playing (i.e., the harder you pluck the string, the more pronounced the effect). The compressor, on the other hand, is specifically designed to smooth out the dynamics of the signal to minimize potential clipping at the preamp/amp and generally "fatten" the sound.
    As a result, placing the compressor before the filter potentially limits the range of sounds you'll be able to get out of the filter by squishing the signal before it ever gets there.
    That said, trust your ears and experiment. There is no right or wrong.

7. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    ^^And this is why a compressor can serve different purposes.

Putting it before an octaver helps improve tracking, but it dampens the dynamics that trigger the BSW.

Putting it after the BSW puts a lid on the filter peaks and gives the filter dynamics as much as possible to work with.

It really depends on what works best for you. Have fun!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021