1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How should I evaluate a used cab I'm interested in buying?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by osciphex, Nov 17, 2006.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Anyone have tips on what I should look for if I'm checking out a used cab? Is there a way to tell if it's been pushed too hard in its lifetime? A way to tell if a driver is worn/blown? Any other things I should watch out for?

Thanks!

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    First thing to look at is the condition of the cab. See if the grill is in one piece, look for dents, look for anything that says "abused". Cabs that are abused are USUALLY a sign that the owner did not care much about amp settings and volume issues with this amp - so the liklihood that the cab is blown is far greater.

Even if the cab looks abused, try it out. As long as the cab is one piece and sounds good, it is perfectly reasonable to offer less for the cab because of the look.

Make sure to try the cab out with your own Amp. Turn your amp up to reasonable volumes and then slowly go louder. If the Speaker is farting out at normal volumes or if the cones are vibrating crazy - something is blown and will need replacing. The higher volumes will let you know if the cab works, but more importantly let you know if it will work for you.

At the Arlington Heights, IL, Guitar Center, there is an Ampeg SVT 410hlf used for sale at $300. I tried it with a 3 PRO and 100% flat settings and no Buttons pushed in. The speakers are blown and rattle crazy even at low volumes with not much low end. The cab even has vomit stains on it! This cab is something to stay away from.

Trust your gut. If you feel comfortable, buy it. If you don't trust the owner or the cab looks creepy, don't buy it. Regardless of the deal, buy the one you want and buy a cab that does not need to have speakers replaced. After replacing the speakers, you may realize that you hate the sound!

Lastly, I bought 2 used 410hlf's from Basscentral.com Risky, yes, but the speakers were not blown at all and had only minor markings / scratches. I have had no problems with them.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I saw that cabinet...and almost puked myself.