1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How should I expect a pedal to sit in USPS depot?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AidanHampson, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hopefully this is the right place to ask this...

I've ordered a Phat Phuk pedal from www.themadape.com on 14th June, it took a few weeks for them to post it, but was eventually sent from the shop on 6th July. They've sent me the tracking number, and ever since I've been staring at this on the USPS website:

[​IMG]

Is this usual? Or is it something I need to chase up? I live in the UK and was hoping it was only going to take a few weeks - so far I've waited 6...

Aidan

2. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    That does seem a bit long, however, USPS does not do a good job of tracking packages. I think they have the taking number so that they can say they CAN track a package. But in practice, I think out its only to let you know they have it. (don't quote me on that) It does not seem to work like UPS, or FEDEX from my experience. So on your end the package could be delivered today, a week from now, or never.

I would start sending e mails with that attachment to see if they can tell you something more about it.

Good luck brother.

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    With international shipping....it should only be 6-10 business days. I'd for sure be calling USPS to see what's up.

Or is that "parcel" different.....?

4. do what i did when they lost one of my NES games. i hounded them untill they said "we lost it, its probably at the bottom of the sea. were sorry"

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I do a LOT of shipping and receiving via USPS. What I've found with international shipments is that the actual transit time across the water really is the advertised 6 to 10 days, but the package may sit in the receiving country's Customs office for up to a month afterward. And there is no information USPS can give you about that. They can say the package was shipped, but once it leaves our borders they have no more info, and will never update the tracking info page--because they are NOT tracking it. In fact, if you look at the actual wording on the paperwork, it is not a tracking number! It is usually Delivery Confirmation number for domestic packages, or a Customs form number for international. The Delivery Confirmation just gets updated after the package is delivered, to say that it was delivered. The Customs form number will usually not get any update, because there is no connection between the person who delivers the mail on the receiving end, and the USPS package scanning system.

I recommend contacting your local Customs office and seeing if they have your package--that's what the Customs form number is useful for.

6. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    The delivery confirmation service worked for me when I shipped an item to Canada, but I had to go to the canada post website and input the USPS delivery confirmation number. Sure enough, the correct tracking and delivery info popped up that had occured on the other side of the border.

I would suggest to the OP to look up your delivery confirmation number via the British post website.

7. Thank you all for your replies. I've emailed the shop that originally sent. They're a bit worried and are contacting USPS for me.

Fingers crossed!

8. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    it is probably sitting in customs, and you will have to pay import duty and VAT on it.

9. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.

Right on. If I were you, I would politely apply pressure and questions from all sides possible. The shop wants to make you happy, but atm, it is out of their hands. Even so, they can do a lot of the leg work for you to help track down your package. But you can also be your own advocate, and try to pinpoint exactly where the proverbial log jam is and see what is needed to free your pedal from the clutches of bureaucracy.