1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How should I learn to Play Bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassboy45, Oct 9, 2006.

1. bassboy45

bassboy45

Oct 9, 2006
    I'm new to playin bass and i just want a few pointers to set me in the right directions as a bassist. Thanks! !

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Teachers are a good Idea, UNLESS they are teaching you in a way that you cant apply it to what you like. I have a funny feeling that if bassboy45 gets a teacher thats going to make him learn "ode to joy" or "here comes the bride" hes going to lose interest fast, I did with my first teacher. Instead try to find a teacher that will allow you to learn what you want, and teaches you the fundamentals along the way. IMO Metallica has some awesome tunes that can really start you out on bass and later on help you show off your chops a bit.

3. well aside from the teacher aspect as i'm sure has become apparent in the last few posts, I would say get together with some musicians and play. there's nothing like getting a drummer and just locking in and grooving. essentially, this would be the reason to play music and also is a very good learning experience, especially if those you play with are much better than you :D

cheers,
    Tony

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021