How should I monitor my Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frawstypaws, Sep 28, 2003.

1. frawstypaws

Sep 28, 2003
    Mesa, AZ
    Hey Everybody, I've been trying to decide what gear to use in my setup. As you may have noticed I currently have a Spector 5 string bass and a Sansamp Bass driver. I play loud Rock sets and quieter Jazz sets so I need to be versatile.

My ultimate goal is to hear EXACTLY what goes to the soundboard without purchasing a bass amp because I want to use the Sansamp as my "preamp". Below I have come up with two setups.

A: affected sansamp signal-->personal power amp-->personal stage monitor.

B: affected sansamp signal-->personal in-ear monitoring system.

2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    since you said "loud rock" I suggest NOT using the in ear monitors. there was a thread about hearing loss where someone's drummer went to in ear monitors, but because the band played soo loud he was turning up his monitors to hear. HE ENDED UP CAUSING TINNITUS!!

I'd suggest an on stage amp and ear plugs.

If you get a nice portable separates rig you can scale up or down for rock vs. jazz gigs.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, I have to agree with that.

I'd even go a step further. Nix the soundboard, unless you're playing huge outdoor venues. PA speakers aren't bass speakers, and singers (for the most part) don't appreciate bass noises coming through the monitors.

Get yerself a nice loud amp. A couple thousand watts should be perfectly adequate for all but the biggest shows. I have a Stewart 2.1, delivers 2100 watts and weighs in at around 15 pounds.