Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How should I setup my effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CoryBelcher, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Hey. Im pretty new to the effects realm and I was wondering if you guys could tell me how to hook up my pedals? Or give me some ideas/hints.

My setup now is
    bass>fodera pre stomp>ebs multicomp> digitech chorus> Digitech synth wah> Q-tron> BassBalls> Amp.

Now, considering the fact that I use the fodera and ebs all the time... how should I set up my effects? In what sequence?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Cory, you mule-lick, I would go the EBS first, then the Fodera, the Bass Synth, the BassBalls, then the chorus. The input sensitive effects like the synth should be first in the chain. The EBS will help send a consistent signal so you can really drive things. You could probably move the Fodera to the end of the chain but it probably won't make much difference.

3. what about the q-tron you has been?

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    If I have to hold your hand through this what's in it for me?

Put the Q-Tron near the from maybe after the Fodera.

5. Plug in the pedals in any order you like.

Play for 15 minutes, trying different licks with different combination of pedals.

unplug all the pedals and re-plug them in a different order.

repeat as necessary...

:bag:

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you want to keep your overall level compressed, you should probably put the ebs after effects which can vary your output level - i.e. envelope filters. Generally you put time based effects last, but those are just general recommendations - if you get a great sound with chorus before bassballs and both on, then use it!

I run bass -> tuner -> loooper -> multicomp -> chorus -> stomp preamp/di -> amp

All my other fx (env filter/od/octaver/dist/fuzz) are in the effects loops of the loooper.

7. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    It depends on signal level from your bass. If you have weak signal, it is better to put compressor first to ensure good tracking of filters, synths, etc.

I have quite strong signal from bass so I go bass -> octaver -> bass IQ -> bassballs -> multicomp -> amp

I have compressor last to keep overal level balanced and to allow good dynamic response of filters.

As you have pre stomp so I would run it first, set level on it enough for good tracking of next pedals and put compressor last. Just IMO of course. Groove on! :bassist:

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes, you should put the input sensitive stuff first - however, if you put a compressor before the stuff that is triggered by the input level, you will be killing off most of the effect they could have generated.

If I were in your shoes, I would set it up this way:

-Bass
    -Synth (if you are mostly using it as a synth, you
    should consider it as another instrument, hence it goes first)
    -QTron
    -Bassballs (you can switch up the QTron and Bassballs dependent on taste; I happen to like putting my distortion stuff behind the filters, because the filtered signal makes certain frequencies jump out in the distortion)
    -Compressor
    -Fodera Pre
    -Chorus (in the FX loop if you can - if you put it before your amp or pre you will be multiplying the input leve into the pre, and may distort the amp)

FX setup is all personal taste, so take everybody's suggestion with a grain of salt.

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Yes that could work well but I've found input sensitive effects work best with a consistant signal rather than a peaky one that is untamed by a compressor.