how should i spend my money best to improve my rig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stu hamm rules!, Oct 12, 2002.

1. my birthdays coming up and i would like to improve my rig. i have a 50W cmobo amp, an ibanez btb406 and an ibanez phat pedal.

i should have about £200($290) to spend (this could be stretched) and i want to spend it on my bass rig but i dont know what to get. i think the next thing i need is a decent amp, but my band isn't quite ready for gigging yet, and when we do it wont be that regular. should i just save the money to get a decent amp later, or is there anything else that would make a good addition?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO - Just stash that money away for a bigger amp. Those low notes are watt-guzzlers....(probably not what you want to hear and I hated to hear it, too, when I was looking for a "quick fix" a long time ago).

You can throw pedals at it, but those are just cover-ups for what's lacking fundamentally.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Lessons ;)

Or all the little things that add up in the long run. A comfortable strap. A decent tuner. Some nice cables. A hardshell case/nice gigbag. Backup strings. A Real Book. A keen stand. A bag to put all of your stuff in.

Or my favorite money guzzler- tools!
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    If you're content with your bass and are looking for improving the rig, I'd agree with Rickbass... keep saving the $. you can't make a big improvement with the money that you have right now so just wait. It'll be worth it.

Even if you have to save 6 months to a year, save up! When you pick up a good 300 to 750 watt amp further down the line, you'll be impressed with the difference that it'll make in tone, volume, headroom, and overall quality of sound.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, gfab spared me the effort of my usual 300-watt rant. Do as he says. You'll thank him later.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

With me, the 300 watt thing has kind of been an intuitive minimum-recommended wattage for practical applications (it might have something to do with me using a GK 800rb for a good number of years in the 90s).

I've forgotten if you had some empirically-derived reason for starting the rant at 300 watts?

I think it's a great threshold, especially if your band has a lead guitar player with a decent tube amp.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I use both a 420w amp and a 100w combo in performance. 300w always seemed too general to me, it could be more or less than what's actually needed. Depends on the use and the situation IME.