1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How should I use my arsenal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtwill, Apr 3, 2013.

1. jtwill

jtwill

Mar 6, 2012
    Tomorrow I will have my third bass. I don't want 3 basses doing the exact same thing so my question to you is how should I set up my three basses to get different sounds, etc from them. I play in two setting, an original band that plays pop rock and a church band. I also sideline on solo jazz. Here are my basses:

MIM Precision with Quarter Pounder pickups
    Gamma Jazz Bass, stock
    MIM Fretless Jazz, bartaloni pickups

All 4 strings

Thoughts? How would you set them up? Mods, strings, anything else?

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    Try not to think about it too much. Play them and you'll find you gravitate to doing different things on each. Why mod unless there's a genuine reason to? Don't pressure yourself into justifying them. Enjoy them, that's the whole point.

3. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    I have 5 basses. I have them set up the same, with low action. I use different strings and different tunings (1, guess it should be singular) for different variations. All are 4 bangers.

'84 Fender P Elite II, PP lace sensor pickups, preamp, D'Addario nickel rounds, drop D
    '90 Fender HM, JJJ lace sensors on a 5-way switch, passive, TBX tone pot, Chromes
    '00 Fender P Special Deluxe, PJ, passive, Badass II, D'Addario tapewounds
    '04 Fender Dimension, PJ, active, eq, D'Addario nickel rounds
    ??? Maestro fretless, piezo pickup, active, eq, Fender tapewounds

In your case, I'd just do rounds on the P, Chromes on the Gamma, and tapes on the fretless. I'd bet that plenty of bassists might do flats on the P and rounds on the J. I suppose it's individual preference. Good luck!

4. dorknowitzki

dorknowitzki

Jan 9, 2010
    Philippines
    Endorsing Artist: Spector
    p for the pop rock band. jazz for church. fretless for the solo jazz. 3 bands 3 basses. you're doing fine.

5. I would say go by song. Use whatever sounds best for what your doing. Or, if you do any recording, use the coolest looking bass on stage and record based on whichever sounds best for each song.

6. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Now you're talking...this is what I would do.

7. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    +1

8. +2

9. Perhaps stringing one with Flatwounds will give you enough tonal/textural differentiation...i find that for some things, only flats will get me there.

10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    +10

As you gravitate towards certain types of music with one bass over another, then you can decide what to do to them. Sometimes using different strings on each bass is the way to go. Let some time pass and figure out what works best for you.

In a live setting, how many times do you really want to switch basses? If the tone difference is not that great and/or the tuning is the same, you probably should avoid switching basses live. You can relax more up there.