How should standby be used on tube amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I have been told several conflicting things about standby. My amp has a 3-way power switch - standby/off/on. I have been told to switch the amp on in standby for 30 seconds to a minute, then to on. If I need to take a quick break, I put it into standby.

But I have also been told that the amp should be turned on for 30 seconds, then put into standby for another minute or two, then set to on.

I have also read (I think it was Billfitzmaurice) that standby is useless for startup, and doesn't extend tube life.

What say ye?

2. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    standby lets the tubes heat up without the plate voltage on.

Turn on the amp in standby, go plug in your bass and then go to on. If you want to unplug go back to standby to unplug.

If tube life is extended by going back to standby for the 30 minutes or so you need a break you would hardly ever notice it. But if it makes you feel good to go to standby for oyur breaks then do so.

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Standby for powering up, 30 seconds is fine. Any other use of it is strictly optional.

That's all I've got.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021