Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How sick should you be in order to miss rehearsal?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Runny nose/slight fever

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. Heavy congestion/significant fever

29 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Cannot breathe/104 degrees F fever/spurting blood

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. In need of amputation/open-heart surgery

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. My band has had to cancel three straight rehearsals because of our guitarist--the first last Monday due to homework reasons (the guy's first class on Tuesdays is at 2:30, BTW :rolleyes: ), and then yesterday and tomorrow because of illness.

Now, in my career of terrible bands that never got off the ground and knockabout jazz combos, I have always gone to rehearsal unless I'm at coughing-up-blood phase. However, my guitarist had the sniffles yesterday, and now he has a fever, so he's playing it safe.

Your thoughts?

2. Amethska

Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    I voted #3... Dunno, I always tend to be okay until my fever hits about 102 F anyway.

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Is there vomit on your bass?

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

My bass, no. But I have good aim, kick drums is covered in yesterday's dinner........

Chris A.:rolleyes:

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    How sick? Pretty damn sick.

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Oh No, not.............CORN!!!

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The only thing I have missed rehersal for was when I had mono.

I still made the concert (only since I was not contageous anymore).

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I didn't vote. I guess the question is, If you think you are contagious, how much would it suck if your lead singer lost his/her voice before the next gig after you showed up sick at practice. Maybe good, maybe bad.

9. I agree - if you're sick enough that the rest of the band can catch the illness (esp. true in a small confined practise space), stay at home. If the rest of the band doesn't agree, then they can't complain if everyone gets sick right before a gig.
    With my last band if one person got sick, we all got sick (moreso when we were cramped up in the van on tour somewhere).

There's the other aspect of sickness in that it can affect your playing and general mood to a certain degree.

10. Well, I talked with my drummer, and we're considering sacking him--not for the illness, but for other attitude problems. We're gonna try a new, jazzier direction on Thursday, when a couple of friends of mine--a stunningly virtuosic Jarrett-esque keyboardist and an inside/outside baritone saxophonist--will jam with us at my apartment.

11. I'll say it depends on the importance of the practice. If there's no show in the next month and nothing big planned for the practice, you can get away with sniffles. Other than that, a significant fever is required, though I played when I had the flu this past winter.

12. Depends if the illness is likely to be contagious I would not go to a rehearsal

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Exactly...if I have a flu, I won't go simply because I don't want to infect everyone else, not because I am not able to play.

Two weekends back, we had a gig and I went on band's insistance even though I had a flu - our singer now has it, and we had to cancel this week's gig...

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I agree with the comments about contagiousness - infect everybody else and you might all miss the next rehearsal.

It is a problem though when people don't have a rock solid commitment to make as many rehearsals as possible. My band (gig this Saturday!) has five musicians and three singers and we've had a high proportion of rehearsals where we've been missing at least one person. We've been able to make good use of the time, but there are certain nuances that get held off for several weeks while we're waiting for the right combination of people.

Wulf

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup, couldn't have said it better.

Peter - jamming at your apartment? Hope that you're on good terms with your neighbors, they're all musicians, or something along those lines... ;)

16. Across the hall: jazz drummer
    Next door: likes live music
    Upstairs: complains sometime, but I can always hold it over her head that her screaming orgasms wake me up at least twice a week

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Don't stop sleeping with her then.....;) :p :D

18. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I have played through the flu, asthma attacks and severed arteries, so I took the third option, having satisfied all of the criteria at some point. :p

In my [relatively] old age I might play things a bit safer though!

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've never missed a rehearsal, never missed a gig.

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ......holy crap.

Come on. not even one tiny little rehearsal? Once again, holy crap.