Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How similar are SWR cab's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Trying to decide on an SWR 1x15 cab.

I currently have a Goliath III 4x10 and I want to put an SWR 1x15 under it. I really like SWR speakers and I am wondering how similar the Working Man's 1x15T SOUNDS compared to the "higher end" Son of Bertha. I know it a better speaker but I'm not really concerned about load handling. If the Son of Bertha sounds much different/better than the Working Man then dropping that much more cash will be warranted. If not, then I'll get a 1x15T.

Anyone A/B'd both of these?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't know about the 15s but years ago BP did a review on the WM 160 head and WM410T cabinets.

Their recommendation was that the amp was great but one would be wise to spend the extra money and get Goliaths.

I'm not positive, but I think that the WM cabinets are made from something other than plywood.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    hey i would get the goliath or son of bertha because you will be able to sell it after your done with it! Trust me i work in a music store and we wouldnt give you much at all for the working mans stuff! But we would get silly if ya brought your goliath in! I have a goliath 4-10 as well! Arent they sweet!

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    While I love my Workingman's Rig, I'd love to get an SWR pro or custom rig...if you have the money, I'd go with the pro line...

5. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    You guys will hate me for this but i walked into a local music store and seen a 4-10 goliath for sell that was used. They had a tag on it saying it was a swr working mans 4-10 and had it priced at 300.00 and it was in perfect condition. So i bought the critter! And i have loved it since!

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    For a short while I was running a Super Redhead (whose speaker complement = Goliath Jr.) atop a Basic 2 Way (predecessor to the the Workingmans' 1x15t cab). I found that it added the depth that you'd expect a 15 to, but I completely dialed out the tweeter because it didn't sound nearly as good as the Foster horn tweeter in the Redhead.

If you've got the 10's to cover the 'tight and punchy', then the Workingmans should be sufficient to add some depth. If you can afford it, there's no doubt that the S.O.B. is a better cab, though I've never used one.

7. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I have a Workingman 410 and don't like the sound of it at all -- weighs a ton too. Then again, I don't really care for the Goliaths either.

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    How can you not like the goliath? I think it is a great cab!

9. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Eh, just not my cup of tea -- too hi-fi I guess. It's a quality cab, just not the sound I'm going for.:)

10. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    what cabs do you like?

11. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I've liked the ampegs I've run through -- the SVT Classic 115 I have is nice and meaty sounding. I go for a gritty, old school tone. I'm still leisurely hunting around for a 4X10 that nails the sound in my head.

12. I cant think of a 15 that I liked less. midrangy, nasal and not nearly enough bottom to offset the flub-factor. the SOB is a much much better cab...even the WM15 is a better cab. YMMV

13. I've owned the Workingman stuff (2004 head, 1 x 15 and 4 x 10 cabs). IMHO - the head is disappointing (reliablity problems) and the tone is pretty sterile. The 1 x 15 cabinet was a disaster - blew the 200 watt rated woofer with the 160 watt head after about six months. Replaced under warranty by SWR - reluctantly. The 4 x 10 was another story. I really liked this cab a lot. Rather heavy, but very punchy, warm sounding and with good projection. Mine had the cast frame 10's which I think made a difference. A good relatively low cast 4 x 10 cab.

I like the Son of Bertha better - heavier duty speaker, lighter cab.

14. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Well, I'm loving my Workingman's 4004...awesome tone. I use a WM2x10T and WM1x15T...I'm considering going with the 4x10T instead of the 15" cab, or possibly with two 4x10s...I played with just the 15" cab last night, and was less then happy with the tone...but with the 2x10, it kicks!!!

15. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Well, first let me say thanks to all for the great info/responses. I believe at this point I'll end up biting the bullet and get an SWR S.O.B. But please, keep the thread going. It's great getting everyone's opinions.

Bonker, it was a real pleasure to meet you and thanks for letting me finally have a firsthand at the J-Retro. It truly is a great sounding Pre. I'll be shooting you a note soon so you can swing in and catch one of our rehearsal's and if the offer is still good to check out your SansAmp DI pedal I'd appreciate it. On a side note, the work Jim did on the Hartke and Goliath is, so far, nothing short of stellar. Granted it's not the best head out there by any means, but it sure cranked out the tone at tonight's jam. I tried to loop the POD Pro/BBE in but it wouldn't work right, I am sure it was a result of operator error, but when I went bass, into POD, into input on head, the signal was very strong and clean. I'll end up grabbing a noise gate to take care of the fuzz/noise and it should work great. I absolutely love my Goliath, but I could tell immediately how much I am/was craving low end and something bigger than a 10" is very much in order (hence this post and my earlier S.O.B. comments).

I appologize for being so long winded, but again thanks to you all for the posts, and keep them going.

16. Razor - No problem. That J sure is one sweet bass. I got very lucky on that one for sure.

Just let me know about the rehearsal and I'll see if I can make it. The offer is open whenever we can hook up.