1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Similar Are The Flangers On The Electric Mistress And The Nano Small Stone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've read comparisons betweent the choruses on the Mistress and the Small Clone, but was curious about the Mistress and the Nano Small Stone. I really like the flange in the Nano Small Stone, and was considering getting a Small Clone, but if the Mistress' flange sounds about the same as the NSS, I'll get that.

BTW, the Nano Small Stone sounds the same as the bigger box- does the Nano Small Clone sound about the same as the regular Small Clone?

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    The nano small stone is a phaser not a flanger. Also, according to Boo's review, the nano small clone isn't as good as the regular.

3. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    According to everybody else here, the Nano Clone (which doesn't even have that switch that the Small Clone does) is just a dud - apparently, it breaks down a lot.

The only EHX pedal I can think of that has a chorus and a flanger is the Stereo Polychorus, which I covet more than every other pedal made.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ha! Shows what I know :D All the clips I've heard of it sounded like it was flanging to me. :rolleyes::p

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Nano Small Stone = Phaser
    Stereo Electric Mistress = Stereo Flanger + Stereo Chorus in parallel

They might sound a little bit alike on low depth settings, but take my word for it... they're very different effects.

The Mistress is a very unusual flanger, just to warn you; you might love it, you might not. It's no Boss BF-2, that's for sure. But that's why I like it. The chorus section is not intensely deep, but it's very clean, lush, and warm. Both sections work very well separately or together.

Also, the Nano Small Clone sucks. And no, it's not an issue of breaking down; it's built solid. The real problems are the bad white noise and the excessive volume drop. Not to mention, it's positive-grounded, so don't expect to be able to use it on a daisy chain.

Overall... there are ZERO reasons to own the Nano Small Clone.