How similar is the Marcus sig to the '75 re-issue?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Jul 25, 2005.

1. well, the MM sig has a fodera designed preamp, while the 75 doesn't. so one is active the other isn't
  2. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Of course, besides the pre amp and terms of construction, feel, and passive sound?
  3. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    :confused: ... AFAIK it's Fender's design... no Fodera input
  4. i see...i thought he had someone make a special preamp for him...maybe it was just his own personal model...i am probably wrong again though!
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Marcus himself has a Sadowsky-modified Bartolini preamp (or was it a Bartolini-modified Sadowsky preamp?). But that's in his bass. In the Fender signature basses, there is a two-band preamp made by Fender. You can buy them for about $40 by themselves from Fender.
  6. that clears it up...i knew that he had a high-end preamp put in his bass, and i thought they put them in the production models too.guess not!
  7. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I forget what it was originally but I believe that it is a prototype Sadowsky preamp, based off of something else, designed by Roger himself form Marcus' bass.

I'm not sure but the '75 re-issue also may be made of different materials, the Marcus Miller sig has a maple neck with an ash body. The MM sig also has a Badass II bridge as opposed to the Fender bridge on the '75 reissue.
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own both basses, to start with pup placement is the same but neck profiles are different. The 75RI basses neck is slightly rounder, more like true basses from mid to late 70's. Marcus bass has "vintage reverse" tuners and the 75RI bass has open "Fender" stamped tuners. The Marcus bass has "vintage" pups while the 75RI has "vintage 75" pups. Both basses are made of ash (mine has a rosewood board) but the marcus bass is brighter even in "true passive" mode. The Marcus bass is also a tad heavier than the 75RI bass. The Marcus Miller's neck binding stops at the end of the frets while the 75RI's binding covers the fret ends. It appears the frets where installed on a bound neck with the Miller bass (and Geddy Lee) while the 75RI's binding was installed after the frets. I also forgot to mention my 75RI bass is MIA. hope that helps. :)[​IMG]
  9. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I beleive Marcus' originated as a Stars Guitars preamp. Roger used the Bartolini in his early basses and custom installs.
  11. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I stand corrected, but I know I read in a Marcus article years ago it was a Stars Guitars preamp. :confused:

Update: Did a Google search of "Stars Guitars preamp" and the first one up was Sadowsky Guitars. Lots of reading to find it but I'll post an update when I find it.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm pretty sure you're right, the first preamp was a Stars Guitars. The one he ultimately ended up with though and has been using all these years is a stock Bartolini.

BTW I found a 75 Reissue that had been modded with an 18v two band Bart preamp and Bart J pickups. It also has a Badass I bridge. Definitely has the Marcus vibe.
  13. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    That's probably right.
  14. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I like the look of your 75ri best. Now go do your laundry!!!!
  15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Where did you find it? Sounds like a bass I sold just a couple of months ago.