Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How small is practical for a powered subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Feb 5, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Reading cb56's dilemma (a lack of slap-your-chest thump in his current Bag End rig) got me wondering:

How small and portable can you make a subwoofer that's suitable for a 1000W rig?

I'm thinking along the lines of a powered sub that could be added to a "normal" fullrange stack when needed, covering 100 or so Hz and down. I know there's stuff like this made for home theater rigs, and I've even seen a homemade one made from Sonotube! (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_6_3/diy-11-sonotube-subwoofer-september-99.html)

Could such a critter be built as a single 15? A single 12? A single 10? What kind of power would you need to push through the thing?

Would it be PRACTICAL?

2. I'm thinking long and hard about marketing a commercial line of subs that are truly capable of 31 Hz fundmamentals. The best solution I've found so far is an 18" sub, 5.0 cubic feet internal volume, tuned to 25 Hz, 92 SPL at 1w/1m. I was thinking about building a 2RU rack space into the top of the sub cabinet to accept a standard size power amp. I figured to drive it with a QSX PLX 1202 from the LINE OUT of the preamp or head. This would allow for volume control at the PLX.

The problem is, 92 SPL still isn't all that loud compared to 105 from the big Eden rigs.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, if you need a field tester, let me know! :D