How solid is your rhythm

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mattmcnewf, May 27, 2004.

1. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    I have been useing my computer to measure my tightness and have some questions.
    I started by playiing with a drum machine built into cool edit pro at 60bpm
    Than I zoomed in until i could see 1/20ths of a second.
    I than check to see how acurate i was. I was always within 1/20th of a second away from the beat is that good.
  2. EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Keep practicin' with that metronome!

I want 1/1,000,000 of a second away CONSISTENTLY. haha
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I don't use a computer to check my bass playing.

I use my phone :D
  4. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i play to the square root of the beat....which requires me to know math...:(
  5. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City

Well what are your questions? :meh:
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What do the real musicians you play with say?
    ...are they happey with the feel you're putting out or not?

IMO, that's the test that needs to be passed.
  7. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    His question was "Is that good?"

The answer is, none of us know, you are the only person ever to have done this.

8. EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Haha. Exactly. I'm still debating if he actually did do it.
  9. smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    I tried this type of experiment before as well. Sort of interesting but, dare I say, probably missing the point (at least that's what I concluded for myself).

The goal is to groove. Grooving happens when you've properly prepared/practiced and you let go (turn off the brain) and fall into a sympathetic rhythm with the musicians you are playing with. If you are consciously trying to play as "accurately" as possible then, paradoxically, you probably have just lost the groove. In other words, trying to play as accurately as possible gets you too much in your head and makes grooving even harder.

Because groove doesn't come from the brain.
  10. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    No, it comes from the soul ;)

Why practice to become some kind of super precice computer-bass? If people wanted that they could just have the computer play the basslines, and for cheaper than a real player. Peopl are always bagging on claypool for having "Crappy" timing but in my ears and many many others (judging from his success and fan base) that he is on the money all the time. Right where he needs to be.
  11. Just how do you measure where you are? Those waveforms start awfully slowly at that level of zoom. The point is not to lock in and be landing on the beat at exactly the same time as everyone else anyway. You want to be even in tempo, but maybe shifted in phase a little.
  12. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I did a thing in highschool called "Interactive Metronome Training", it was through the PE department, they hook you up to a computer and you clap to metronome, there is also a foot pad. It was a several month experiment to see if better timing increased thought power. There was a regular metronome and there was also one that made a one noise if you were ahead of the beat, a differant one if you were behind, and a bell like tone if you were 0ms off. The last day you have the regular metronome with no tone and 1000 beats, my average by the end of the 1000 beats was 11ms off the beat.