Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How stable are the new AI Clarus' to 2 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmanjones, Jun 1, 2003.

1. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I'm curious because I need something compact with decent power handling and I tried the Clarus a while back (the original model) and was impressed by its power handling but found the mids to be very bland and actually a little harsh. But after seeing joker's thread where he inserted the Demeter in the effects loop of the new model and it smoothed out the edges a bit and made the mids sweeter this is now an option for me once again.

I guess buying both would seem like a bit much, but I'm beginning to put together a home studio and would need (and am looking for) a good DI anyway so it would work out in the end.

Anyway, how stable are they to 2 ohms (the new ones) because I'd probably buy a 4 ohm cabinet to get the most power out of it when just using one but would want to add another 4 ohm cab later for playing out on stage in different settings.

2. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I tell ya, I would just go the Clarus web site and see if they tell ya that 2 ohms is okay.

I ignored the manufacturers's spec once (not Clarus). Big repair bill! If it's not made to handle 2 ohms loads-you will have a problem at some point (if you run it that way). IMHO.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That doesn't always work - when I bought mine, they said 2 ohms was good. It wasn't really though - the amp would tend to shutdown from overcurrent, cutting out for a second or two several times a minute. And this was into 2.67 ohms. After three songs of this I just unplugged the 8 ohm cab and went to 4 (which worked fine).

I contacted them and the reply was "sorry we've fixed that problem in newer models, we can repair yours for $xx". I elected not to pay more for what I was promised in the first place.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've done the same thing as geshel in clipping the clarus. It will care it, but if you push the power much they will shut down. So depends on the volume your looking for.

As for the tone of the clarus, they are very clean. If there is something you didn't like in what you heard its your bass! This is why I demo people on straight power amps and no preamp/eq. It the only good way to know what your really buying in a bass!!! The clarus is a great reference amp as well, I just wish they had more power!

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey jonesy!

long time no see. good to seeya on the boards again.

well, a friend of mine is bringing his two 4 ohm Acme B1's, so we can do a side by side comparison of my Epi's, and his Acme's. i'll tell ya how it goes with the Acme's 2 ohm load.

but i've been told my numerous vendor's and Dave at the AI shop, that the new Clarus' safely do 2 ohms with the improved power section.

but if you want an even MORE tubielicious tone, try an SIB FatDrive in the effects loop. its by far fatter and more tubey sounding, while the Demeter Tube DI is more refined and polite. i'm actually thinking about sending it back to Jim & Co.

the SIB on the other hand, does refined to fat and compressed with the turn of the drive knob, and the EQ does wonders for tayloring out the sound.

6. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Originally posted by billys73
    I tell ya, I would just go the Clarus web site and see if they tell ya that 2 ohms is okay

That's bad! I can't believe that a company building amps would not know that the amp would shut down under certain load conditions. Didn't they test it? Seems like it would be a basic design parameter of the amp. And it's not a a defect or an upgrade or design change to make it do what they promised. They should've fixed it for free.

7. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for.

billys73, with the exception of Walter Woods, I don't know a single amp manufacturer who states that their amps do not go down to 2 ohms....but there's not all that many that will go down safely and turn back on in the morning :) If they were being honest they would say 'stable down to 2 ohms for about 5 minutes at a low volume settting' :D

joker, I'm not really looking for anything wooly, just something to warm it up a little and sweeten the mids.

BTW, to answer an earlier post, I played with several basses and through a Berg 1x12 (I've heard the Bergs many times before so I know it wasn't the cab) and although the basses themselves had different characters, the midrange of the amp was still nasaly and pretty piercing. IMO it's the amp and not what I was using.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just want to know what that SIB thing is?
    Any links?

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    SIB is known for the boutique line of guitar pedals. designer Rick Hamel has since joined forces with Mark Sampson of Matchless fame to form SMF amps.

i own an Echodrive, and it does a darned great impression of a tube Echoplex, sans the annoying tape.

the Fat Drive is a clean boost pedal that's "hifi" enough for the low nether reaches of bass and keyboards. big bold clean sound, but turn up the "drive" knob, and you get that SVT like wool. NOT overdriven, just thick and ..well.. woolly.

http://www.smfamps.com/fatdrive.htm

[​IMG]

Jonesy,

the Demeter is definitely better suited for your situation, but the great thing about the SIB is that it's much more apparently tubey sounding for the effects loop. tho, offering a cool tube sound, the Demeter is a bit too clean for me, and live, makes it hard to tell the diff from the effected and uneffected tones. the SIB gives you that similar weighty, tube booty feeling you get from an Aguilar DB359 or a vintage SVT. also, i like the EQ and drive options i get with the SIB, so i can taylor a more refined tube feel, or a fat SVT like feel.

but if there's anything the Demeter is unmatched, it has to be its inherent function as a DI. compared to the Clarus' onboard DI, the Demeter Tube DI is sooooooooooo much nicer thru the PA. the SIB thru the Clarus DI sounds good, but the Demeter literally envelopes the bass sound, and gives it nuance and air like nobody's business. my soundman always kicks himself whenever he hears my bass over the mains.

and btw, other than the MUCHO MAS larger monstrosity, the Aguilar DB750, i dont know of any other heads that'll do 2 ohms like the Clarus. quite a feat, for it to even bother to claim it can reach 2 ohms, and be sooo freakie deakie small... :bassist:

10. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003

Okay, I admit I don't get it. I can understand (to a point) a company streching the truth on stuff like weight, power, etc...because they're well, telling white lies like most advertisers.
    ....but for the life of me, I can't accept that a manufacturer would hype a specification that causes the amp to shut down due to thermal overload (or something) and/or damage itself! If I thought that a company did this I wouldn't buy their stuff! I'd figure, what else are they not telling me? Just my feelings.

11. IMO, the Clarus is not the solution for a player requiring 2 ohm loads and maximum output.

If you require maximum balls at 2 ohms, how about considering a QSC PLX 1202?

The PLX produces 300 watts per channel at 2 ohms much more reliably than the Clarus. The PLX is fan cooled and offers much larger heat sinks than the tiny package of the Clarus. The PLX is rated at 600 watts per channel into 2 ohms, so it would be loafing all day at the 300 watt Clarus maximum.

Bob Lee (QSC) says the PLX 1202 is the least likely of all the PLX models to thermal under heavy load. The downside of the PLX compared to the Clarus is needing a preamp, being larger (rack size) and heavier at 21 pounds compared to the 5 pound Clarus.

Then again, if the amp shuts down on you, who cares about extra rackage and poundage?

:D