Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How talented are you? Or, is bass easier than other instruments?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Uforia, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Just wondering?

I was just wondering. Some people I worked with one day when I was telling them that my husband played bass and was teaching me and that I also learning to play the guitar. They told me that bass players become bass players because they couldn't make it as guitarist.I know that is stupid and made me mad. So I thought that I would see how many people also play guitar and other instruments.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sounds like they were trying to get a rise out of you -- don't give them the satisfaction.

Actually, I tried to learn guitar a few years ago, but couldn't quite get the hang of it. A few years later, I bought myself a bass and taught myself how to play. It's been seven years now and I have never regretted my 4-string purchase -- ever!

For what it's worth, I happen to know 2 guitarists that switched from guitar to bass, just because it was "cooler."

3. I'm not talented at all :(

Actually I'm pretty good at guitar. I know all major chords, minors, 7ths, 9ths, 13ths (okay, im lying now) and other odds and ends. I got my chords down, and I find chords to be particulary more simple than a bassline. Most jazz stuff involves the guitar hitting a chord a bar, while the bassist hits the rythem.

Both are equally difficult.

Both require different mindsets.

Eh.... Go bassists!

4. well that's a load of crap haha. I played Piano for 10 years from the age of 6-16, in the mean time I also played the saxaphone for a few years. I then moved on to bass because I needed a challange. I've been playing it for 3 year's now, I"m must admit I'm pretty dam good for playing for only 3years (knowledge of piano deifinetly helped) but I'm still trying to master it, there's just so many differnt techniques and sounds you can get out of the thing. I started playing guitar for a bit of fun about 2 years ago and I actaully find it to be more basic than bass. It may be harder to get the hang of but you can only do so much with a guitar before adding all those stupid effects. Us bass player's don't need that crap, we can get any sound we want straight from the bass. I'd like to see a guitarist try to play some of the stuff we do. Guitarists are so generic they have no personality, while every bass player has their own personal style, their soul really comes out in the music. It's beutiful.

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I want to get mad at that kind of attitude, but there is a grain of truth to it. Look at the current crop of bass "gods." And rock history is full of "Well, someone had to play bass" stories. If this stereotype still exists, bass players are partly to blame (two words - TAB).

But I digress...

I've performed on bass, tuba, sackbut (you don't want to know), marimba and voice. I started off as a drummer, and can play keys just well enough to make chicks dig me. :D

Not sure if that makes me talented, but some folks think so. I sat in with the high school for their Christmas concert, and played tuba with the concert band and bass with the jazz band. At least the kids (and the director) think I'm the shiznit. It helps if you're willing to move chairs too. :)

I have no interest in the guitar (although my wife walked in on me once while was testing hers out; doesn't that woman know how to knock???). From where I sit, the only thing bass and guitar have in common is the shape. Musically, tuba and bass have way more in common (like the range, the clef, the musical function, etc.). Not nearly as much spit involved with the bass though.

6. I don't think you can really judge your own talent.. others have to do it.. :)

but if a lot of people say that you play very good.. u'r usually pretty good :D

7. i can look around me and at the fellow local band bassists, and say that for my years i'm a good player.

however what most, if not all bassist's have is an overwhelming sense of self doubt.

am i good enough?

does it matter!?

if you play what you like, have fun and enjoy music then your doing well.

bass isn't there to be a pain in the a$$, its there to make people happy, to move them (emotionally).

just read my signature and you understand my approach to music.

oh and to answer the post as closely as the question. yes i can and do play alot of other instruments.

i started out as a guitarist, but my decision to change to bass was because i'm 6'7" and those things looked stupid :)

later

stu

8. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    i played baritone sax for 10 years, then switched to bass guitar because it is more mainstream. i actually wish i could still play bari but i don't own one and they are very expensive. i play bass instead of guitar because i like the low end spectrum more. also slapping is hella cool :cool:

9. Never listen to the naive. Also, don't be afraid to calmly tell them how naive you think they are. If that fails just say they are stupid and knock them out? hmmm I think that would work.

later

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I started as a guitar player. Played in a a band for two years...and used to ask the bass play to let me try his bass all the time. Then it hit me - I really wanted to play bass...and I never looked back.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i've been told on numerous occasions that i'm rhythmically very talented. i never used to understand what people people were on about because i started out trying to play "lead" instruments (violin and guitar) for a number of years and, while proficient enough to play in an ensemble with both, it soon became obvious to me that i'd never excel in them. hence i eventually gave them both the arse! :D
    soon gravitated heavily towards the drums due to the influence of my brother-in-law, and something snapped - i had a grip on them within two weeks, and was going into all kinds of complex polyrhythms and whatnot soon after, about the same time i was picked up by a fairly renowned Melbourne death metal band ("Slit Wrist", now sadly defunct :().

i don't actually know where bass actually came into it all, but here i am now stuffing around with the four-stringed muse and trying to make a go of it. while my bass playing isn't as noteworthy as where i was at with my drumming (during my "prime", anyway), i took to it fairly quickly as well. i plan to keep striving, keep being inspired, and to keep taking the damn thing where it was never designed to go.
    the bass guitar is an instrument in its own right, i figure, and music isn't a mirror for society, it's a hammer with which to shape it - so **** you to anyone who tells myself or any other bassist that our instrument can't say as much between mouthfuls as theirs can.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have no inherent talent for bass, so I try to make up for it with hard work.

I've always had a good internal sense of time, though - so either bass or percussion made the most sense for me. I certainly can't learn to strum a guitar - every time I try to strum with a pick, the pick goes flying across the room!

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    What an ignorant statement.

No, seriously, the person that said that was an ignorant idiot, Uforia.

Case in point: I played our little brother, the guitar, for 13 years. Studied classical guitar in college, on a scholarship. I played electric at a professional level in rock, country, R&B, and jazz bands. I was capable of covering players like Allan Holdsworth and Eric Johnson.

I now play bass, and certainly not because it's "easier" than guitar, it's NOT. In my opinion, being a great player on bass is more difficult than on guitar, not easier. Why did I switch? Because bass is where I always felt more at "home" as a musician, not because I couldn't "cut it" as a guitarist. I could. But, I would just rather play bass.

Next time some ignorant yutz tries to tell you you're less of a musician because of your choice of instrument, tell that guitar-totin' moron to get a crowd dancing without a bassist sometime. :rolleyes: As someone once had in his signature around here:

"All the eyes are on the star (usually with the guitar), but their butts are shakin' to the bass guitar."

14. Hmmmm....I don`t consider myself overly talented but I have come a long way since I first started.I guess I am ok for having only played/learned bass for 15-16 months,and this without a teacher. :(
    Doubtless I would be farther along if I had a teacher.

As for the comments about bass being "easy" and bassists being "failed guitarists"....BUNK!:mad:

Not many of my friends and accquaintences are into music so I don`t have to deal with those thoughts(thank god!).Bass is rhythem and actually more akin to the drums than to the guitar.Keep up the practice and pay the small minds no attention,good bass players are always in demand.If it is so "easy" there would be a ton of "bass players",no? ;)

Usul

15. Most of us DBers think that EBs look funny too...:)

16. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I i´ve always played bass because of the degree of control you have as a bass player. You can change the style just by changing the bass line. Is great!!:cool:

17. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'n not talented at all. i play just because it's make me happy. i started with piano, then i played trumpet, bass guitar and guitar. actually i play bass guitar in a cover band (pearl jam and similar) and in a rock original band (similar to stooges). i have a personal project where i play bass and guitar and i compose drum with software, it's a starting home recording project. i like a lot to play and i'm sure that i have no problem in playing rock music. i love to play funky music too. but ifeel for sure that i'm not talented, i have little ideas tht i try to put in music with my limited knowledge, that's all. and sometimes i think that i play only to own those beautiful things called basses and guitars... ;)

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I play guitar, not at the level Gard was at but I am certainly capable. It is NOT harder than bass. People who say that speak in ignorance.

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The "bassist-as-failed-guitarist" syndrome is still true in some cases but, in general, demonstrates a serious lack of awareness of what has been happening for years - bassists have been taking guitarists to school, in many cases.

In general, I find we know more about our instruments and theirs, and song construction.

If you learn a catalog of guitar chords, you can pretty well get along on guitar. But bass has gone way beyond the days of playing roots or following the guitarists.

If you get dissed as a bassist, that's all on you. Fr'instance, I was just at a rehearsal Sunday and told the other musicians I seriously thought we needed to double the tempo of the song to make it effective. One of the guitarists' lower jaw dropped and the drummer flat out said, "I can't play that fast.".......Eat my dust!

I think that was more a matter of "I won't" rather than "I can't." Self-congratulatory as it may sound, a pervasive mentality among good bassists these days seems to be be more of "what is possible?" rather than "what have others' done?" Just look at the tech and stylistic advances on bass.

20. Plenty of non-musical people just don't quite understand the bass for some reason. Or, when you tell them you play bass, they immediately ask you to play "like that guy from Korn" or play some song where the bass part is whole notes anyway. I have no idea why that impresses them. Granted, though, there are popular bands where the bassist isn't really noticeable or just doubles guitar parts anyway.

I've only been playing bass for a few weeks, but as for other instruments, I currently play trombone and bass trombone, I used to play piano some (helps with 'visualizing' a lot of theory), and sometimes I play the euphonium (like a tuba, but an octave higher, and also the least rockin' instrument in the whole wide world). I didn't start on guitar and move to bass. I borrowed friends' guitars occasionally, but that was mainly because I wanted to try some kind of stringed instrument and it was harder to find a bass to borrow.

And lump, I'm not even sure I want to know what possessed you to play a sackbut.