Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How tall do you have to be to play bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lozenger, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Lozenger

Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    i am 13 and i am relatively short for my age, i have not yet got a bass but will be getting one soon (hopefully). i am worried that it will be too big for me to manage, what do you guys think?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    My son was 5'8" at 13, so age doesn't matter much, and neither does your height really. If you are very short/small, you can find short scale (30" or 32") basses that may be easier for you to handle, but in any case, don't let your height get in the way. Plenty of shorter guys (and ladies) play bass.

3. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Don't worry.....you'll be fine, just play !! :)

:)

PJR

4. Lozenger

Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    thanks guys, are there anymore young/short bass players that either strugle or get on fine? And just out of interest how easy is it to get into a band being female because all the decent bands seem to be made up of blokes.

thanks xxx

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    well my son is 4'4", and I am 6'8", and we both play just fine. He plays a short scale, so I bet at the very least you could handle one of those too. It would be be best if you got used to a regular bass. Try a light one like a kingston. The 4 string are 34" scale, but the 5 strings are 35".

Mark

6. You'll be fine, I was 5'2 when I started last year and it can be a bit annoying with big frets but you'll get used to it. The modst important thing is that you grow to love the bass and you keep at it.
    :bassist:

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Award for the strangest quetsion ever asked on Talkbass goes to...Lozenger. Congradulations!

8. Wait shouldn't this be somewhere else like misc or even technique?

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You will eventually grow to 6'4" and weigh about 225 lbs. It's like when your mom buys clothing that's 4 sizes too big and then says "you'll grow into it". It's part of the evolutionary process. You also be strikingly handsome (if not already).

www.woband.com

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You must be at least this tall to ride this ride.

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Currently the opportunity for a girl to play is equal to a boy's. All girl bands are very popular today, but that doesn't mean you can't mix with the guys.

Practice until your semi-confident. Then get out and find others to play music with.

12. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    If your feet touch the floor when you stand, you're tall enough. :bassist:

RB

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Hehehe..you reminded me... few years back I went to see an old friend who happens to be 6'8". When I went to see him, he introduced me to his fiance, who happened to be sitting at a table. After some chatting, we decided to go out for a drink, and she climbed DOWN from that chair...she was taller sitting on it than standing...

It sure was weird seeing them walk together, there was like almost a 3 foot diff. in height between them.

14. i was 5'8" at 13:eek:

15. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    See the thing is, when you get a bass you get taller! I was 5'3 when i bought my first bass and a year later i was 5'10.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    its true...hahaha

17. Lozenger

Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    lol thanks, i am really looking forward to getting my bass. Now all thats lest to do is persuade mum... :confused: :meh:

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    5'2" minimum. Period.

19. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I would assume that you must be tall enough that the bass you own doesn't scrape the ground when you play (unless you are one of those "upright" guys... weirdos :D ).

So min. height would depend on the bass. If you had a Steinberger, min height would be about 10" tall.

20. I would think that if you started with a 34" scale bass at age 13 and got good at it, it would feel like a toy to you in 5 years time. So either you'll be a bass god or you'll need to buy a 7-string. Or more likely, both.