How the *$&# does anybody fly thier basses these days?!!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Baron von Basso, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Baron von Basso

Baron von Basso

Nov 3, 2002
    I am about to cancel a trip because NO airline is accepting the bass case dimensions that I am giving them. Things have gotten so tight now that not only is anything over 100 lbs referred to air cargo, but if the combined dimensions are more than around 120", then they aren't allowing them. Some are stating that the longest dimension for OVERSIZED status is 62" or something like that. Gage's 3/4 trunk is 81" so HOW IS IT that so many people are flying their basses?!!!? I realize that mine is heavier and a bit longer than other basses, but if Gage is manufacturing trunks that are in excess of 84", then somebody must be flying with them.

UPS won't even take something that is as long as a bass trunk.

I am not willing to go to an airport and "take my chances" either. Maybe the fact that this is an international trip is a problem, but lots of people fly from overseas to the ISB convention...such a hassle....
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's a drag, right? There's a lot of renting going on or, for those who can pass along the cost of the air freight to the contractor or venue, they just bite the bullet and pay the money.

Or you get an EUB.

Jim Ferguson was bandying about the idea of using resources such as talkbass to put together an international city by city guide to bassists who have instruments that could be loaned or rented to touring bassists. What say you, World at Large?
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    If ever in the Washington DC area, you can use mine. But, you'd have to lower yourself to playing a newish plywood
  4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Baron, it sounds like you'll be renting. What city are you headed for?