1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How the Heck did all those young stoner bassists get so damn good so fast?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Damani311, Sep 24, 2008.

1. My only guess is that it was pure natural talent.

People I'm mainly talking about are Dirk (ex Incubus), Pnut (311), and Stu Zender (Jamiroquai).........seriously! These 'kids' were like 16-17 when they put out all their first albums:

Fungus Amongus
    Hydroponic/Dammit
    Emergency on P.E.

respectively, but the level of playing on these is unreal, especially the slap/funk coming out of Dirk and Zender.

I just want to know what gives? These were just kids in high school, admitting to being potheads and dropping acid every weekend, and yet they were so good that I'm 24, been playing since I was 19, and can't touch their ****.

Is it really the case that you don't learn as well as you get older making my development that much slower? Or was it really just natural talent of the likes that are rarely seen?

Just curious, it's making me feel really behind :bag:

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Practice.

3. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    they all had some musical upbringing. orchestra or a jazz band and lessons and things like that..

4. brivello

brivello

Jun 27, 2008
    Philadelphia

+1

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Practice and some folks are just more talented than others.

6. Combs4MyDomes

Combs4MyDomes

Apr 23, 2008
    KC
    pot and acid;)

7. AngryJason

AngryJason

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    and producers who know what they are doing :)

8. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    adderall + pot + time

9. practice and drugs can make you more creative (highly debatable)

I also read a very long article in Scientific American about why white matter in your brain is important and if I am remembering the gist of it one of the things it does is account for more muscle memory. And almost all of your white matter is formed while you are younger/teenager. Hence if you practice something a LOT while you are young it will make a bigger impact than doing it when you are older.

Great article think it was called "white matter matters" if you find it read it.

10. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    use the force. let go....

11. Lol.

Still find it hard to believe that someone that is 16 and very socially active and recreationally using drugs is going to sit around by themselves at points running scales in their room.

I guess I'm just jealous because I never found a break in the action when I was a kid, I was either at school, skipping school, worthless extracurriculars and spending too much time playing video games and watching TV.

Just feel bad that I didn't get really motivated until a few years ago, I know it's not too late but at this rate it's going to be hard to find a group of guys ready to give up their lives and jump in a van when we're all pushing 30 :/

12. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    skipping school to hang out at home to smoke dope and play your bass all day will make you rich and famous

13. +1

14. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    Ever heard of session musicians? Dare I ask...

15. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    Then again for every Pnut I am sure there is at least ten thousand stoner kids out there that never came close to being as good.

16. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    At my high school everyone in guitar class was stoners...after school they say around playing guitar and watching cartoons for 5 hours a day.

17. Knarley I have heard of session musicians, but due to my limited mindframe I fail to see the relevance.

mfgl, did any of them go onto to become popular world touring artists? ;) Just curious

I'm going to go practice for ten hours now

18. It also helps that for example Zender comes from a musical family. I had an interview with his sister, who's a singer/songwriter. One of the questions i asked was about her and stuart making music, and she said almost all of their brothers and sisters are into music,
    that's one big stimulation to keep improving in music.

But the important thing stays: practice and starting at young age i think.

I, for example, started playing bass at 15/16 years old, no chance i'd be as good as they where at 16 years :p

19. ben_the_bass

ben_the_bass

Jul 12, 2005
    Rocklin
    obscene amounts of dumb luck

20. ^^^^ no such thing as luck my friend :)