1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How the Heck did all those young stoner bassists get so damn good so fast?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Damani311, Sep 24, 2008.

1. kangia

kangia

Aug 10, 2008
    I would put luck and talent aside.
    You could translate talent as interest. Depends why do you love to play bass. If the reason is competition, you've lost already.
    If you just do it because you like it, that's the good way.

Every fool knows that playing bass asks for practice. Because it mechanical action. You need to train your fingers.

Get rid of jealousy, don't spend hours on looking others kicking the hell out of their bass (use that time for your practice).

Self confidence + some feelings + a bit of practice = unique player.

To hell with warp speed....

Bass Guitar Place

2. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    I guess thats relative....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arghoslent
    thats two of them...another went to teach music at some art school...

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Are you talking about skill-wise or how they made it so high in the music industry, because I can play 95% of those bands songs except for maybe 311. I'm 14 years old.

4. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    It would appear that you never did acid! :cool:

5. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    As a bassist and regular smoker of certain herbals :bag: I can say that the effects of the substance do aid in both focus and creativity. The point of "frustration" when you're trying to learn a technique, and you give up and put the bass down, never really comes to mind, because you're in the zone. Also, especially when jamming with others at an amateur level, you're more willing to break out of your "comfort zone" and try something whacky. In the beginning it sucks, but as you keep doing it your jams get more concise and sound good. However, you do have to have a good base skill level, when I first started bass I couldn't do anything under the influence; when playing bass becomes a natural thoughtless effort, you feel like the music "flows"...theres no good way to explain it.

I would just say don't immediately judge someone by their habits and think it contributes to or detracts from their skill. However, I do think theres enough evidence out there to say that drugs (especially psychedelics) DO have an effect on music. Look at nearly every band out of the 70's, and all the good grunge bands out of the 90's (PRIMUS comes to mind)

6. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Being able to cop another bassist's lines may be a cool party trick at an ultra-uncool party, but it's not the same as creating them.

7. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    Wow, that seemed unnecessarily harsh.

8. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Yeah but I don't think thats what he's talking about...

9. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Who is "he"? I was responding to you...

10. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    I didn't really mean it that way, but it kinda seemed like he was saying they weren't so hot because he can play their basslines at 14.

11. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    You're right though, I retract it for I don't have anything against anyone on this thread. Congrats Grizzly for playing those tunes at your age, I'm sure you'll become a great bassist! I just really wanted to use the "cool party trick at an ultra-uncool party" line.

12. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    No, they are awesome and they put the absolute best bass lines that they possibly can into that type of music. Keepin it funky. I just thought the OP was saying he can't play their bass lines because they are too difficult.

13. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Fair enough, and maybe he did mean that. Forgive me for being a confused old man of 23. :)

14. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Ahh, you got me confused too lol.. I credit my ability to pick up bass is my 4 years of experience playing tuba. It helped my ears like you wouldnt believe.

15. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Easy..

Get high
    Go to school
    Get out of school
    Get high
    Play bass for an hour (or more)
    Hang out
    Get high
    Play bass
    Go to bead
    Repeat

16. limit6

limit6

Dec 5, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Mind expanding drugs will definitely help you tear down walls. Seldom do I use them, but man do I come up with some beautiful stuff. Can't remember a lick of it, though. Don't overdo it

17. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    WOW! That's exactly my schedule every day!

18. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Easily.

Then it could very likely be your distorted perspective on the situation, no?

I have spent about 15 of the last 20 or so years of my life in high school and have seen PILES of HS bands along the way. I am barely mediocre on my best day ever, so I am not speaking down to anyone, but there are just tons of talentless hacks who make noise and call it jamming or music. I large majority of them are stoners who get fried and jam and think they are creating magic when in reality their axes arent even in tune.

HOWEVER,

I have seen first hand some insanely talented young boys who, at 14, are so far and away beyond what i can possibly do that its, well, just impressive. The case is usually that they are trained in music from a young age (drums, piano, trumpet, etc) and dont really buy into convention. Beat to their own drum, so to speak.

Just my experience and observations.

19. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    My biggest problem is that I can't write anything worth playing.

20. One name comes to mind...John Paul Jones.