1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How the Heck did all those young stoner bassists get so damn good so fast?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Damani311, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Unless you work as a teacher that's not a particularly impressive track record...

:)

2. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Damn...

at 38, I chose a bad time to pick up an instrument....:meh:

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I make my own luck.

4. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Its a simple equation. Pot + Bass Grooves = Meant to Be

5. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    All 3 of your examples also were in musical situations that allowed them to grow and form a style and thats very important. I have met some really talented people who are very advanced at a young age through the years who have had issues because they were not in good nurturing environments.And as for the Drug thing;I have seen too many musicians who used drugs on the regular and had that use caught up to them mentally or physically.notice that at least 2 of the 3 did their most innovative work early in their career IMO

6. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Relative to mature jazz, R&B, and Rock to me they're not very good at all.

KT

7. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Dont worry about it dude, just play what you wanna play & have fun.

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Are you talking hard drugs or marijuana? I have rarely heard the case of smoking pot "catching up to you", seeing as theres almost no physical side effects other than the munchies, is not physically addictive, and if you read ACTUAL studies, does not contribute to memory or intelligence loss.

I expect that in a very mixed-age forum there will be a number of biased or misinformed opinions on marijuana. I'm not trying to start a debate about it, but I will try to correct information that I feel is misleading or false.

9. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Basically, in lamens terms, +1 for pot!

10. read my sig below!

11. recreationally using drugs ---> sitting in a circle with your friends ---> they're stoned and want to hear music ---> you play for hours to thier delight ---> everybody starts jamming together.

Thats how I learned. my first band would have band practice, toke up, and then sit around just jamming around and playing for hours afterwards.

also, that white matter stuff seems to hold some water. I took a year of piano when I was 10 and whenever I sit at a piano (which is rare) its still a familiar feeling

12. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    As a recreational user, I can say that while pot itself may not have any serious side-effects, the lifestyle that is often involved with people who do smoke pot can definitely catch up to you. Especially if you're a young kid.

Gizzly, you're 14, put the peace pipe down once in a while. There's plenty of time for blazing when you're old enough to drive.

13. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Im talking about both but to a much lesser degree pot. I never smoked a lot of weed,wasn't really my thing and people I know who make it a major part of their lifestyle(blazing 3-5 times a week) seem to NEED to get high but some people need to have a glass of wine or beer everyday too so the subject has many viewpoints.One thing as a musician I have to note is the number of people I know who have a drug-related charge on their record who have trouble getting into certain country's who are strict about that sort of thing.

14. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    It's a shame this seems to be the "illegal drug validation thread".

:scowl::mad::scowl::mad:

15. duuuuhhhhh pot makes everything go slower, so they are getting 2 times the amount of practice in the same amount of time.

16. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    practice, and some people have the knack or raw talent.

17. “Talent is a dull knife that will cut nothing unless it is wielded with great force - a force so great that the knife is not really cutting at all, but bludgeoning and breaking… Discipline and constant work are the whetstones upon which the dull knife of talent is honed until it becomes sharp enough, hopefully, to cut through even the toughest meat and gristle. No writer, painter, or actor - no artist - is ever handed a sharp knife… although some are handed some almighty BIG ones.” - Stephen King, Danse Macabre, 1981

Basically means (to me) that talent alone won't get you where you want to go, and in reality it means that you have that much more material to practice, more aspects of your music you want to improve upon, and greater frustration with mediocrity.

Now, I ask you: Would you rather have a blunt machete, or a perfectly sharp Swiss Army knife? (And there is no right answer here, save for the one you give for your own self.)

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo

Sports example:
    No matter how much you practice, you will never be as good as Michael Jordon or Magic Johnson (or pick you favorite player in any country/sport).

Music example: No matter how much you practice, you will never write songs as well as John Lennon or Paul McCartney. More personal example: a guy I know joins the junior high school band and plays trumpet. Within a few weeks his "jamming" in the practice room with some jazz sounding stuff. Later he's a drummer in a rock band. Later he's a lead singer in various bands. I know for a fact that if he practiced, it wasn't much.

Mental example: No matter how much you study, you will never be as smart as Steven Hawking.

etc., etc.

The only thing more practice will get you is closer to reaching your potential, whatever that is, according to the limitations of your genes (or jeans ;-0). Other than that, "making it" or becoming "famous" is pretty much a lottery type situation.

Maybe .00001% (a made up number) of the people on earth have the genes to reach the top in any field. And even then, many people who do "make it" do so because they have a "look" (those genes, again) as well as a modicum of musical skills and are promoted to enrich the owners/stockholders of corporations. All the rest of us, we deal with the genes we're dealt and go from there, limitations and all.

Anyway, back to practicing....and having fun.

19. I contend that you make HALF of your own luck. An old friend of mine used to say "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." Sure, you can "create" opportunities for yourself to a degree, but let's face it - if you created your own luck, you wouldn't have to have a job or a gig or anything - you could just play your bass in your hilltop mansion all day.

(Maybe you DO play your bass in your hilltop mansion all day... who knows? ;) )

But woe to the one whose opportunity comes along and he has not properly prepared for it. So in my view you're half right. :)

20. What he said. Natural talent is a real thing and all these claims that it's not are either denials or just ignorance.