1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How the Heck did all those young stoner bassists get so damn good so fast?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Damani311, Sep 24, 2008.

1. my guess? started at 13...smoked a lot of pot and sat in a basement jamming for 14 hours a day...getting drunk passing out and starting over again...give it 3-4 years and eventually...a very tight band emerges from the basement.

2. edubb

edubb

Dec 6, 2006
    a couple of weeks ago I met this kid in G.C. killing all of fleas bass lines on a frettless w/o lines. he was 11 yrs old, had been playing for 3 months and had never played a frettless until that day. Yet his fingers were in the right place almost all of the time. The place where he was taking lessons isnt even good at teaching. the kid just had talent and will probably be a pro if he keeps at it. some people just have it.

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Probability. Take the half-million or however many kids in that age bracket who play bass, etc., and out of a number that big, it's virtually a sure thing that a few will have enough talent, determination, and luck to make it.

We never hear about the ones who don't make it, mostly because they turn into us.:crying:

4. Actually, smoking tree helps many practice endless scales and arpeggios. One may go into a trance-like state and before one knows it, 4 hours go by. Of course this isn't really all that "musical". The other side of the coin is pot makes one stupid, so understanding and absorbing actual music is made more difficult.

So it seems.

5. I guess problem at first was doing the drugs and just LISTENING for 4 years before I even picked up the bass.

All my friends in high school didn't even have hobbies, let alone musically talented

Shame I didn't break away, but when I was young I was stupid as hell.

Not saying I'm not now..........

And to anyone (Grizzle) that can play these,

A) i'm hard pressed to believe you have heard any more than three songs by each of these bands........all the music in question came out right when/before you were even born

I'm not talking amber, and I'm not talking jamiro's/incubus' ****** new bassist and their generic lines (no offense, just miss my heros) and I'm sure as hell not talking about evolver/DTOM era 311.

Can you tell me how to play Nutsymptom please?

And silk between the lines, I CANNOT EVEN FIGURE OUT that breakdown (the one where Brandon screams in the background), let alone play it.

But seriously if you even listen to this music you are probably the coolest 14 year old on the face of the planet

But yeah, SILK BETWEEN THE LINES PEOPLE, FUNGUS AMONGUS, PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!

6. and lol at 3-5 times a week being bad, most people I know/knew (including myself) it was 3-5 times A DAY, sometimes more

yes it was a major problem, i kicked heroin with no probs but weed......still struggling 8 years after i started

BTW that new genetically altered weed is the new crack, most widely used illegal drug as well

Look up "marijuana addiction" on google and enjoy the million + results :crying:

7. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I think its because of a true and deep love of the instrument that only being young can bring plus it seems to be a competetive enviornment which creates a friendly oneupsmanship sometimes the simple answer is best

8. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Sheer talent will only take you so far. To develop as a well-rounded musician (not just someone who can cop someone else's lines or a particular style) you need to work at it. That's why the people with a strong work ethic have the edge.

9. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN

Let me clear this up. I wasn't trying to say that I was as good as those guys. They are legends. I can't play all their stuff, who knows every song of some band? But, yes I do listen to this old stuff. Classic rock is my main love, as well as funk. I'm a big fan of RHCP's old stuff. I hate Metallica's new stuff. :rolleyes: I'm just gonna say that I've worked hard at my bass playing and I'm proud of it. I play atleast 2 hours a day. I'm just gonna say I have a respect for things other kids don't and I'm years before my time. I'm not a normal person. Maybe I should be out doing the retarded things other kids my age are doing...:ninja:

10. yeah your right...we all know that those old jazz musicians were DRINKING tea..not smokin it. :D Either that or they didn't really understand music eh?

11. Any man can achieve anything they want to achieve. It is that simple. If you want to blow up the world, you can do it and if you want to be a great bass player, nothing is stopping you. You can even go to the moon now if you wanted to, so why do you think you are limited in your abilities?

Its a simple matter of will power. You want to sound great but don't feel you have natural talent? Play 6 hours a day and immerse yourself in the musical community and you will become great.

Sure natural talent helps, but talent can be achieved through effort.

And for the record, smoking weed is fun here and there, but it does muddy up the brain so get your serious practices in while sober.

12. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I forgot you weren't allowed to listen to music written before you were born. :rollno:

13. Drugs didn't help any of those cats become monster musicians. I'd say it destroyed many.

14. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    lol

15. wade_b

wade_b

Jul 8, 2008
    Don't forget that many artists suffer from bi-polar disorder, and take to using drugs to medicate themselves.

16. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    And for those of us that don't, well, they're still fun...

17. jugoziithouu

jugoziithouu

Jun 15, 2008
    When your younger you are more honest, thus more creative and innovative not trying to "fit" into the standard... hard to explain

Anyone can play like hendrix not anyone can create like hendrix...

18. Indeed, talent exists. Who would deny it? Those in denial.

But did you card the kid? Maybe he was a youthful-looking 40-year-old.

19. Thank you. How succint-yet-wise your statement is!

And, dig, not even "anyone" can play like Hendrix.

Oh heck yeah. So many people memorise others' creative lines and fool themselves into thinking that they are thus as talented as those who came up with them to begin with.

20. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    The machete, please. You can sharpen a dull edge. If it's already sharp, you've got nowhere to go. No matter how much you sharpen a Swiss army knife, it's still a Swiss army knife.

On-topic: I hardly see how substances that distort one's sense of reality can have any positive effect on practicing a studied art. Gee, maybe I should smoke a few joints before tests and papers. Think I'll be able to keep my 3.8 GPA up? Not on your life.