1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How the Heck did all those young stoner bassists get so damn good so fast?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Damani311, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would pose one question about this however, since we're getting into the writing of music and how drugs contribute:

Whats your opinions on how psychedelics affected music coming out of the 70's?

Or opiates affecting music coming out of the 90's?

Not saying if you drop acid you're going to write fantastic songs, I have no desire to do any hard drugs, especially for a music benefit. But its interesting that so much amazing music comes out of these eras where drug use was a huge factor, and if you look at the general quality of music today....

What are people doing these days anyway?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I didn't think much of them at the start of their careers. Or later on in their careers for that matter! So I'm not sure I'd say they really had natural talent. :meh:

3. I have two points to contribute,...

inspiration, practicing bass all day and drugs can be sometimes good,... re read a thing on flea where basically he was saying that he would smoke up, chill out and play bass all day and come up with riffs that he would then take back to the band,... unfortunately yes this did lead to all of RHCP going into rehab or having problems etc but happens with alcoholism and so on too? :scowl: still he said it put him 'in the zone'
    on a side note this reminds me of rodney mullen the skate boarder,... he got inspired so practised without fail every day and set his practise time with a stopwatch,... noone can catch up to him simply because of the hours that he put in,... sure he probably has a heckload of talent but I imagine doing something for hours on end helped alot!

oh and that bill hicks is your friend!
    from Tool's third eye intro:

See I think, drugs have some ddone good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us. Do me a favor, go home tonight, take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs, and burn them. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Reeeeeeeal ....... high on drugs.-

that said, drugs destroying bands, too many examples to name there as well,... not too mention the number of very talented musicians that have OD'd or had a drug related death :(

I miss fungus amongus and all the excellent music,... what happened to them after that pains me!

4. Yeah, drugs do all sorts of things with the mind, and it stands to reason that they might disinhibit a person into coming up with creative riffs and such otherwise "locked away." Bird did drugs and wow, what a player. But he died young. Hendrix did drugs and wow, but he died young. The list is endless. Do your own cost-benefit-analysis and decide for yourself what kind of risks you're willing to take. And, also, mind-altering chemicals alter your approach to people, not just to music. Usually, it alters your social life in a bad way, leading to depression, and a downward spiral of drugging to counter-act the effects of the original stuff, and RIP.

However, there are many natural, non-risky ways to chill and get into the zone. Everyone can find such a way. I know great players who meditate, do Tai Chi, have quality time with various loved ones, take long walks in the woods, bird-watch, etc.

I totally agree about practise: Talent+Ideas+Practice=Solid Playing and Implementation of those Ideas. And when you use 'em with your band, the synergy between the instruments by-definition takes you to newer, higher levels, and gives you additional ideas to try out and practise. Everyone from flea to Yo-Yo Ma practise like fiends, and talent oozes from their every pore (nasty analogy, but I like it). So what: Neither would get on stage without the hours of practise. Not only does it hardwire the music into your brain; it's fun! You love your instrument; you love the sound of the bass; so why on earth not spend lots of time with it?

Bass It:bassist:

5. I don't think there is one end all statement for drugs. Different drugs do different things do different people. Some habitually use, or feel they need to use whatever drug and others merely use here and there recreationally/ experimentally.

Music wouldn't be the same without speed in the punk scene, alcohol in all scenes (aspirin too? :p), psychedelics in rock'n'roll (now making a comeback), ecstasy in the electronica scene, etc.

Music would still be there without drugs, but they definitely have sparked many good ideas. The drugs you see that kill people and haven't helped music much, if at all, are cocaine, heroine, and other things in that area.

6. :mad:
    Hey, psst, big brave crusading drug advocate, yeah, you:

I invite you to visit my Dual-Diagnosis unit (for Severe Drug Abusing/Dependent peeps with new friends: Severe Mental Illness). Yeah, come as a visitor; don't worry: Nobody will commit you without your consent. You will not be required to attempt to comfort my patients (and I LOVE them and never get hardened to their pain) as they suffer hideous withdrawal symptoms (try grand-mal seizures on for size) in spite of all our efforts to titrate them off the drugs slowly so they don't suffer. You won't have to sit by patients' bedsides as they die. So it'll be okay for you.

Meth?! #@!? I have patients with no faces b/c their car-trunk labs blew up in their faces. Oh, and these kids (the meth-users) look like their grandparents, on account of the pesky side effects of the lovely drug, which include accumulation of toxic crystals deep beneath the skin, liver destruction, brain damage, total oral decay, and everything that stems from not caring about anything but dealing with that lovely tweaking feeling.

If you practice what you preach, it's your own life. But to say that hard drug use has has its place in a forum read by people of all ages, including pre-teens? I don't want your answer, because you know less than nothing about the ravages of drug addiction and, let me guess, also don't help people (sometimes) survive in spite of the above. Yet I wonder what your Mental Age is, let alone your experience with the life that serious drug-users lead (prostitution, homelessless, home-invasions, violent-injury/death): Oh, yeah, definitely creativity-enhancing stuff all of it.

I work with these people every day. And it's a not-for-profit, so don't give me any snide remarks about my pay. I left my practise to work with these folks b/c it seems that nobody particularly wants to know about them, let alone help them take care of what's left of their train-wreck lives.

If you like your music enough, oh Immortal One, check this out: There's this new product out called Natural Rush. It's actually not new: It's embedded in every mammal's nervous system, and I am certain that you are a mammal. Anyhow, this miracle nostrum enhances your creativity without making your playing sloppy, and, unlike the hardcore drugs (yes, this includes Rx drugs, of course) it doesn't wreck your body or the bodies of any impressionable friends who think that the garbage you might use could be cool to "try."

:scowl:

7. in case anyone ws mistaken im not condoning drugs as I certainly wouldn't want any band members going to rehab and rebuilding their lives...

just saying that drugs have a big contribution to music and it seems that alot of it 'opens up new areas' but thats a big debate,...

practise is good, in that case im off to go practise ;) :bassist:

(and yes, I really do want to know what happened to dirk lance,... he rocked!)

8. Sure, altering the brain's chemistry can result in all kinds of inspiring phenomena. But there are ways to do it without risking your life. Really, there are.

But the subscriber who extolled the virtues of just about every lethal drug out there, pointing out how they're used [abused] by musicians in various genres for the obvious effects desired made me blow a gasket. Gaskets are replaceable: Lives wrecked by meth are not. I stand by what I wrote, of course, because I've earned the stripes to write that little essay. More importantly, though, I hate to see my friends die, you know? I'm weird that way. I also hate to see my patients die. I hate to see musicians I admire or even abhor die. That's all.

Have an awesome workweek, y'all. And to those to whom this might apply: Please reconsider the meth-labs and their "product." If they don't hurt you, their fumes will damage your kid's brain as well as your neighbour's kid's brain. Oh, yeah, kids are very sensitive to the noxious garbage. And your industrious work will also hurt the little kid digging in the sandbox in which you bravely buried the byproducts of your strange brew.

9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Just FWIW-- I have cleaned up meth labs as part of my job, including places that have blown up or caught fire.

I remember particularly well one in which the chemical process had emitted toxic fumes that killed several of the people in the house while they were stoned, but which for some reason had spared the kids locked in an upstairs bedroom. The incident was discovered when one of the survivors tried to burn the place down in broad daylight, in order to destroy the evidence. I had to go in first to make the place safe enough for the coroner's crew to go in and retrieve the bodies. My job is messy enough without having to worry about stepping over three dead bodies and disturbing a crime scene.

10. What's with the personal attacks? My OPINION is that SOME drugs have changed the music scene. If you READ my post, nowhere do I say METH has helped anyone.

Reread my post, the last sentence I say that drugs such as coke, heroine, etc. haven't done much besides kill people. If I were to go back now I would add meth to that list so you wouldn't throw a hissy fit. I do know the effects of hard drugs on people, how it wrecks lives and how f**ked up it all is.

I am not condoning hard drugs! Some drugs are more harmful than others. If you say psychedelics, weed, or alcohol are as harmful as, say meth or coke, you are very mistaken.

But seriously, what's your problem? Drugs have done a LOT of harm to the world, but you're going to say that music didn't change for the better when the hippy movement started? You think someone is going to read my post and think that doing meth will make them be creative? How could you possibly infer that? Some people shouldn't use drugs but will use whether or not they read my post.

:scowl: right back at ya brotha

11. Hey, psst, big brave savior to the meth cooks on TB, yeah, you

Yes there are plenty of way's to alter your thinking without drugs, but guess what, music has been changed by drugs and will continue to be. Again, meth is terrible, but please stop insinuating that I ever condoned meth use/ meth labs. I have no idea how that interpretation came out of my post.

Honestly, ***?

12. my comment was on of 'drugs are there, and they have been in music',...

I don't condone any of what happened in kurt cobains ( also the beatles, jimi hendrix etc etc etc) life, but at the same time think he wrote some good music,... does that bother you?

my point in case is in regarding the topic, I want to know what happened to dirk lance :eyebrow:

and yes its kinda obvious they were influenced by drugs, I think covers of a big mushroom on the album give that away,... regardless I loved incubus early stuff and tried playing some of stuff like 'magic medicine' and so on,... very creative bass lines!!!

13. M'kay now kids, dru-drugs are bad, M'kay..drugs are bad......

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I love the way PsyDocHill has just laid it down with cold hard truth and yet still people will fight their corner...!

15. As for Dirk, there's this big apology in newer prints of Fungus. In it it mentions that they were "just trying to be Primus, RHCP, etc."

That being said, I grew up with these two guys who had no particular musicianship in their families (I actually have much more musical influence in mine). One dude played guitar and the other bass, and they learned the two so they could play together. They were interested in the same music, and yeah, they sat around running scales and slapping lines while they watched cartoons after school. They were covering Science (Incubus) songs by 17. They don't and never did drugs, so that may be the part of the equation that never lead to the loose creativity that's required to step beyond and be in a successful band.

My guess is that all three examples likely did the same. Dropped acid and smoked dope with a bass in hand.

16. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    Anything from cannabis to psychedelics.

17. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    I expect higher than average IQ levels have something to do with it, as well as dedication and practice etc . Having musical parents, a kid is probably more likely to develope such if he follows their trend from an early age. Of course, this isn't always the case.

I'd love to know the IQ of so many bass players, back before they went on pot and alcohol-induced drug binges ;)

18. Some things just come easier for some people. Sucks, but eh.

19. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    311 is a really good band. They're very talented, but also write really good songs and have a unique sound which are their other skills.

20. Loves2Jam

Loves2Jam

Nov 17, 2008
    I'm 19 and a sophmore in college. I'm a social work major and a jazz minor. So I go to one class and learn theory and then go to a class on addictions. Moderation is key. I went through the whole drugs are sweet and they will make me a better musician phase in high school. I'm not judgin anyone but I know drugs will f**k yout life up real bad. I still blaze a lot of tree but the other stuff scares me. I got friends at school who think that acid binges are cool. Everyone has their own outlook on life/drugs/music.