1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How the Heck did all those young stoner bassists get so damn good so fast?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Damani311, Sep 24, 2008.

1. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    I am 46 years old, and grew up with a lot of my musical heroes destroying their lives with drugs and alcohol. While at first glance, it appears that drugs and alcohol may have spurred musical creativity because so many artists used, I think it really did the opposite, and wonder how much better many of those artists may have been if not for the screwed up/drugged up minds they were having to work through.

Compare:
    1. Beethoven writing music for a hundred piece orchestra AND music and lyrics for a hundred person choir for a piece that holds together over three/four movements, without even being able to hear one note other than in his mind. He had no mixer, no looping, etc. Listen to one of his symphonies.

vs.

2. Nirvana : "Runny nose and Runny Yolk/ Even if you have a cold still/ You can cough on me again/ I still haven't had my fulfill>" ***?!? And anyone could possibly think that drugs help creativity?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Actually yes, if you smoke before you study and then smoke before youre test, you'll remember everything word for word. :D

But still, when I toke, I focus way more, and actually I kept a pretty high GPA while still smoking everyday.

3. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Yah they may play bass well but they still take drugs, which isn't cool at all in my eyes.

4. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Amen:cool:

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    As another person who has a passing flirtation with smokable substances, I can definitively say that being stoned doesn't help my creativity in the slightest. In fact it kills my worth ethic. Doesn't mean I don't do it, because I still feel there are creative and artistic benefits to spending a little time outside "normal", but I can't spend my day stoned and expect to get anything done.

Also, you might not want to brag about smoking every day if you're going to use the wrong form of "your/you're" in your post. :p

6. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    A long time ago I used to have a poster in my room. It had the pictures of hendrix, joplin, and Morrison, and underneath it said "Drugs, are they really worth it?"

I thought it was a cool poster because it made me think, Are taking drugs worth it to make it in music at the cost of your life? And in mine mind, yes it was worth it.

Being in bands, and on the "scene" for 15 years now, I have no doubt in my mind that Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison would still be greats without drugs.

I'm not knockin anybodys lifestyle, do what makes you happy. But I am of the opinion 100% that drugs do not make a mediocre player great. I have seen drugs destroy very talented local players though. (and plenty of famous ones)And I'm no lightweight, I've had two friends die of heroin overdoses, and plenty more end up in jail. I've "lived" the jamband scene.

The guys in the op are talented, no doubt, and I think they would have been great players with or without drugs. Maybe their lifestyle choices pointed them to what kind of bands they want to play in, but drugs do not give people a leg up on greatness. IMO Hardwork+talent+determination+luck= success.

7. Shawn80

Shawn80

Mar 17, 2009
    I never can get why some of you guys seriously discuss the "talent" or "gift" thing.
    This is roughly how I see it:
    1) if you're an accomplished player who is considered to be "great" by some, it is rather silly to agree that you were simply "given". And, as far as I see, all pros keep saying "practice more and more and you'll get deeper and see wider and write better" all the time.
    All that I learned in my life (I'm close to 30) teaches me that if you do ANYthing 10 hours every day (thoughtfully) during 10 years, soon you'll be at the top. Whatever occupation. I see no other way to top Freddie in writing tunes, Jordan in basketball, Steven Hawking in physics, NatKingCole in singing, e.t.c.

2) In 90% cases these "talent" talks simply cover that we are not willing to practice more. IMHO.
    We can never say "I've worked enough". Every day I discover that it requires "THAT much efforts". And I'm OK with it.
    If I'm saying "I wasn't born to play bass", how do I know that i'm not just a lazy ass??:confused:

8. YUP, that's pretty much what I did. Except I prefer to go to BED as opposed to bead. Maybe it's a Florida thing ?

9. maybe theyre bed is in drop tuning? hehe