how the heck i get this thing working

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Sep 12, 2003.

  1. sorry if in the wrong place, but

    here goes, i have a bunch of PA Speakers, two 15" yahamma's, and 2 12" stage moniters..

    and i also have an SAE 2500 powers amp ( from the 70's )....

    its strange, in the back it has like regulular speaker wire out put parts, (red and black ) and the input is the type of input thats like on a playstation video cable , ( you know right? ) so i had bought an adapter to convert a regular guitar cable into that, i hook a regular speaker up with the red black wires, hook a guitar in to test, and it works.... but its not very loud for 300 watts you know? do i need to buy a little mixer ? or what? how do i hook up the regular PA speakers?


    help please..[​IMG]
  2. Bruce Lindfield

    Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

    Sell all the stuff and buy a decent bass amp/combo!!
  3. Yeah listen to the 'Arbiter of Good Taste'

    :rolleyes: :ninja:



  4. i already have a decent bass and combo

    im mainly trying to use this as a PA SYSTEM for vocals, shoulda mentioned that before.
  5. lbanks


    Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Are you using a mixer or pre-amp with it? Need pictures of the back.

  6. im not using anything with it, i dont know what i need i need a mixer? no camera to get picture of back, cant find any online

    the OUTPUT is regular black/red speaker wire, and the INPUT is RCA, .... the plug that goes into it looks like this [​IMG]
  7. This doesnt sound like a PA amp to me. More of a studio monitor amp or a home Hi-Fi amp.

    The best thing is to grab a mixing desk, come out of that to the amp via means of say XLR to a RCA cable (can make these up easily).

    It is not good practice to run PA gear via means of just bare ended speaker cable. Most of the speakers will be 6.5mm (1/4") TRS type sockets, or XLR sockets.

    It can be done but youd need to modify some cables and you will need a mixing desk or a preamp of some sort.


  8. damn... so how much money around , in your opnion do you think it will take to get this thing workin? ..... or am i better off selling the junk and buying a powered pa mixer?
  9. lbanks


    Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yeah, these types of amps need some type of pre-amp or mixer. They are more designed for permanent PA installation or stereo Hi-fi units. I'm kinda suprised you got any sound at all, without a pre-amp.
  10. Okay powered mixers are good. but you have the speakers already and an amp effectively.

    How many outputs on the amp? If its only Left and Right then we have a problem.

    You could run your Front of House (FOH) from the left of right, but not the foldbacks. You could put them in series etc but then you begin sacrificing output volume/power. You could put them in parallel and risk damaging the amp due to low ohms.

    If you are to get a powered mixer then you may still run up against the same problem. It is common practice to have one Power amp for the FOH, and one power amp for the foldbacks.

    Some powered mixers cater for this. If you only want one vocal to go through this system them use the FOH and this amp. You will still need a Preamp of some sort. Can get this from Hi-Fi systems or plug into a spare guitar amp and come line out of the thing.

    You also dont indicate the output power of this amp. You may end up driving it into clipping and blow your speakers.

    Rule of thumb: Make the amp more powerful that your speakers.

    Why? because if you drive the amp harder you can see the speakers physically pushing air and know to turn it back. Underpower the amp, you hit clipping which is DC... silent and quick killer of the humble PA system.

    I suggest you go and get a mixer. Powered yes if you are limited on funds.


  11. lbanks


    Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Giving it a second look, that's definitly a studio unit. I don't think it will stand up to the rigors of live performance, without expensive support equipment (cases, shock mounting and the like). I'd sell it, buy a powered mixer. How much?:D
  12. Petebass


    Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree with you Merls. The RCA output's is a dead give away.

    I agree the cheapest way to turn what you've got into a vocal PA is to get a powered mixer.

    What are the specs of the speakers? Watts? Ohms?

  13. pm me, make an offer if you want it.

Share This Page