Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How the jimmy christmas do u do tapped harmonics?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    how? im trying to learn Stu Hamm's 'quahogs anyone?' and i cant do the first part cos its tapped harmonics.. i can do harmonics../ but not tapped??! if someone can explain id be grateful.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Fret a note with the left hand and then hit the string with your right-hand index finger exactly 12 frets higher.

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    so say if i wanted to do a tapped harmonic on the 5th of the G, then i wud have to hold down 5 on the G and 15th On the same 6, and fret them both.. one after the other.. its sound's..like a normal tapped 15th note.. no harmonic??

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You fret a C on the G-string (5th fret) and tap the high C (17th fret, not the 15th).

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    ok im fretting the C on the G which is the 5th fret.. and the 17th fret which is the higher C, i was already doing that i just made a mistake when writing it up, but im still not getting a harmonic sound..

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You have to let the finger bounce off again immediately, or else you don't get the harmonic.

7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    cheers put which finger, the from the 5th fret right? bounce that one off?

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The right-hand finger, the left-hand finger functions just as a capo.

9. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    thanks, got it, cheers for helping me thru that JMX