Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How the mighty have fallen

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Out in the middle of nowhere (where I live) the only radio station that I can be assured of having a strong enough signal and therefore wake me on the alarm is the local smooth jazz station. Yesterday I awoke to a smooth jazz version of "Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo" by Rick Derringer. It might have been one of the worst things that I have ever heard. Then to hear the DJ announce that it was Rick himself playing "Jazzy Koo" I just rolled over and went back to sleep.

Later that morning I ran my alarm clock over with the car.

Mike

2. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    ROFL...oh sh!t, I can't stop laughing...and coughing...stop it hurts...:D

3. Ugh! Not a pretty picture. Did you ever hear the smooth jazz version of "Purple Haze"? I heard it about 12 years ago while driving down the Long Beach freeway (Ca). I almost drove into the back of a friggin' truck. Thank god it wasn't Jimi playing.

4. Man, I wish I was rich and famouse so I could afford to distroy alarm clocks. :D

Jazz covers are interesting, a complete consept reversal of what "punk" or metal bands will do. Making something soft and steady... I was out with my friends for coffee and saw a jazz band doing a cover of White Zombie's "More Human Than Human" and did a really good job making that sound softer. I nearly choked on my coffee when the (female) vocalist started singing Rob Zombie's lyrics. I have a new respect for jazz now. :rolleyes:

5. I heard a jazzed up, instrumental version of Smash Mouth's Then The Morning Comes. I thought it was pretty good, but I know nothing about who played it or anything.

My roommate's a jazz studies major and he hasn't heard anything like it yet.

FWIW, I heard it on KKSF this past summer, somewhere around late July/early August, iirc. Anyone know anything about this?

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Um, well, like - :eek:

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    God, no wonder you guys hate smooth jazz! I've never heard anything like it!

(For the record - I like what's commonly referred to as smooth jazz - I just call it Contemporary) :D

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow, not a great start to the day. First you hear that abomination on the radio, then you accidentally run over your radio. :D

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Pacman,

I think there is a real difference between contemporary and smooth jazz. Both Liquid Soul and Marcus Miller were grammy nominated in the contemporary jazz genre. A friend of mine who has the only "real jazz" show on this station defines smooth jazz (in part) by the need to have a drum machine (except for the fact that "M2" has drum machine).

I think that the smooth jazz is a conspiracy to lull the masses into a state of complacency. It brings back those fond childhood memories of the countless hours we rode in the elevator. It numbs our senses for the sole purpose of ......

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    We are very sorry to announce that Mike has been "eliminated". For more details put in a request to the FBI under the Freedom of Information Act.

Mike's Family

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ha ha ha. DEVO has a great CD on RYKO called "EZ Listening MUZAK Disc" that is MUZAK versions of about 25 of their songs performed by them. It is a hoot!

12. Genius.

13. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Absolutely Hilarious.

Ok, Mike, you can stop joking now.....

Mike?

You're there, right?

Mike??

Mike!!!??!?!

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's no worse than the time I heard a Muzak version of BOC's "Don't Fear the Reaper" in an elevator at the office...

15. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    :eek: :rolleyes:

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sometimes, the pain of a smooth jazz cover is to much to bear. I like music like Marcus Miller, and I've never really thought of it as other than smooth jazz. I've always thought of smooth jazz as that souless crap called "easy listening", -or as I call it, "suicide music"

My prayers go out to Mike's family for his safe return, or at least the return of an identifiable corpse. :D

17. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I think they just want closure.

18. Because there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus of what exactly constitutes smooth jazz, I too must say that I like a lot of stuff that is considered to be just that. I recently heard that some of you guys refer to Pat Metheny's stuff as "smooth jazz". I like much of his stuff. I also like the Rippingtons, &, dare I say, Diana Krall - as well as many others who have been dumped into the smooth jazz bin... but to hear a smooth jazz version of "Rock & Roll Hoochie Coo" or "Purple Haze" - that's just downright sacrilege.

19. So sorry to hear about Mike - our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends...

As acommpaniment to his final rites of passing, I suggest they invite Mel Torme to cover Whole Lotta Love....;) :D

Mike, oh Mike, why have you left us with these thoughts??!!:p

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    To all the member of talkbass:

We have located irrefutible proof that connects the rise in popularity of smooth jazz with the ascendency of John Ashcroft to a position of power in the United States and finally with the "elimination" of our beloved father and husband, Mike Dimin.

We need YOUR help ....

Mike's family