How the six strings affects your slap style?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dreadhead, Dec 23, 2002.

1. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Hello! I have a question for the six strings players of this forum: how your configuration affects your slap style?
    I've owned a sixer for a while, and I was really really comfortable with it, BUT it has not a good slap sound and to be truthful, I didn't know how I should modify my style to suit the bass.
    How do you do the so-called "machine gun triplets" and the other percussive, fast tricks? Do you still use the open E? Sorry, I'm a 4 strings player but I would be really happy to change my mind, if I can do the switch without affecting my slap (that is a huge part of my playing). Thanx a lot!
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There shouldn't be all that much difference, unless your string spacing is really narrow, in which case you'll have to cut down on right hand motion and not be so sloppy with your attack.

One issue that can crop up is that on wide-spaced sixes, it might be difficult to mute the low B while slapping; the right hand obviously isn't any good for muting and the left hand may not be able to cover muting on all the strings, esp. if hammer ons, LH slaps etc. are involved.
  3. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    So you use open strings just like on a 4 strings? I didn't have troubles muting the Low B while I did slap, but I didn't like the sound of my sixer (too much "nasaly" sounding for slap). It was just awesome in fingerstyle, though.
    Is there any instructional video (like The Slap bass program) that shows slap on a sixer?