How thick is your fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by oldsaw, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Considering all of the talented luthiers and the recent thread on finger board length, I wonder if there is an optimal thickness for finger boards? Does a thicker board have a negative effect on sound quality/production.

My fingerboard has never been resurfaced so it is .737 in. thick at the center, .675 in. on the E side and .586 in. on the G side. Not only is it a long board but it also seems to be thicker than necessary.
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Mine's THICK. Sorry, don't have any calipers handy, but it doesn't flex when I whack it or play thumb position.
  3. Fingerboards are tapered along their length, thinner by the nut, thicker at the other end. Where are you measuring it? Also are you measuring it from the glue line to it's thickness at each edge (E and G), or from the glue line to the locus of the radius?
  4. Those measurements are at the bridge end of the fingerboard. they were taken from the concave surface to the top side.
  5. The measurements at the end of the FB are pretty meaningless. What are the measurements where the FB meets the underside of the neck? AND at the nut?
  6. Oh. Maybe kind of thick.
  7. The ebony is about .56 in at the nut and .46 in at the base of the neck on the E side and .62 in and .54 on the G side .
  8. That does sound a bit thick. I'm assuming that this is a beveled board because of the big side to side difference. Judging by your other post about the length of the FB, it looks like a trip to your bass luthier is in order.
  9. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Yours is too thick. It was put on without planing it down. On a new fingerboard, 10mm thickness on the sides is about right; that's less than 1/2 inch(25.4mm per inch).
  10. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Good thing your bass board gets your jokes.