Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How thick is your top

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Jun 19, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I own a Strunal 5/20 Carved top, and my top measures 4mm at the center of the F holes to 6mm at the ends of the F holes. How thick is your top? Is my top thick for a carved top? :meh:

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    To get an accurate reading of your top graduations, you would need to use a Hacklinger gauge, or take the top off and use traditional dial-calipers. FF-hole edges sometimes get thinned out on purpose... Most basses are thicker in the chest area, then they thin out towards the upper and lower bouts.

The Strunal 5/20s I've seen (apart) have plenty of wood in their tops.

3. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    All I know is that the top on my bass is pretty thin. I don't have calipers or any type of instrument to measure it with but I know that it's thin. There is a part of the top that has a chronic sinkage problem and there are numerous cracks all over the top and back. I assume that at some point many years ago, someone thought it would be a great idea to shave down the top. To compensate for that, there are now lots of cleats and bracings in the bass, essentially negating any reason for shaving the top in the first place. The bass sounds great despite its surgical history but at what price?