1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How thin can a wire be?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by InternetAlias, Mar 25, 2013.

1. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I am wiring a preamp on the PBC and I'd ideally want the wire that's only 1mm in diameter (with isolation). Can the output wire be so thin?

2. This will be at signal level? You could use wire half that size if you want. 25 gauge would be plenty.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    ^This.

A quick search at Alpha Wire shows that they have insulated wire as large as 24ga that is less than 1mm in diameter.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    22AWG stranded is normal, mostly because it's big enough not to be fragile yet small enough not to be bulky and hard to fit in there.

once you get bigger than that hair-thin pickup coil wire (more like 42AWG!) it doesn't really matter sound-wise.

5. Ampacity is not a concern with the currents you are dealing with. As Walter pointed out, your pickups are probably wound with 42 or 43 gauge wire. Of course, wire that thin would be way too delicate to work with, so you generally want something thicker. The thinnest wire that you feel is durable enough to cut, strip and solder, without damage, will be fine.

If you wander around in internetland, you might find some fancy nonsense about the skin effect in wire. This makes no difference in this application, so don't buy into any marketing for expensive wire.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    For effects I like 24 gauge which is .025" or about .635 mm. My big wire (which I bought by mistake) is 22 gauge which is about .029", still well under 1mm.

So the answer is yes :D

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This reminds me of a story. In the '60s, the Russians boasted that they had created the thinnest wire possible. The Swedes got a piece of it and drilled a hole down the length of it.

Anyway, I usually use 24 gauge in preamps.

8. Hi, where can I get that nice thin wire like on Aguilar or Nordstrand onboard premps?

thanks!

9. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Jan 24, 2013
    Tempted to make the politically incorrect joke but will not......

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I'd just figure out what gauge they use (26 or 28, maybe?) and search on Google. Mammoth Electronics, Mouser, or Digikey will probably have it.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Rat Shack usually has it.