Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how thin front to back for a 6 string bass neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Sep 12, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I just did the rear profile on my first and it is very thin. A good third of the center of it is flat. How thin is too thin?..........t

2. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    When the truss rod is poking out the back. :smug:

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida

Yup done that before. :( :scowl: :bawl:

Not this time but .8" does seem a bit thin........t

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    My neck on the T-bird has gotten really thin around the nut area.. I hope it's not too thin =/

5. I usually start with a 3/4" blank and take it down to about 5/8" at the nut before I start carving. When I'm done, I usually end up with 1/2" at the nut and about 5/8" just before it joins the body. I use lmii truss rods and 3/8" deep carbon fiber bars.

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    .78-.80" is what I usually end up with at the first fret. It's not what I would call thin "thin". That's taking the thickness of the fingerboard into account, which you really shouldn't take into account if that makes sense. What's really important is the depth of the truss rod channel, like Wilser explained.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    It is that thin all the way. I did use the lmi truss rod, slotted Ebony board and graphite bars. The fingerboard is a little on the thick side too. The .8" includes the fingerboard. I start with a 13/16" neck blank and use a 1/4" fingerboard but this fingerboard was thicker than that.

8. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    I use a rule of leaving at least .125 under the truss rod. I have carved necks under this (not too much, never below .800) and not had a problem. The type of wood you use is also a factor. I say leave 1/8 " and be safe. Would want to have a sweet playing bass with a steel rod sticking out of the neck.