1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How this for a whacky idea?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Nov 1, 2010.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    So I've been up in the air on what to do with a Dean Sledgehammer 5 that I have. I vowed to leave it as-is, but that huge area of bare wood is just calling out to me....

I thought about getting a Delano P-pickup in there, but the $160 price tag of that pickup kind of turns me off. I'm sure it'll sound great, but I got bills to pay.

I realized that I had a set of ceramic magnet J pickups in my parts drawer that came out of a Squier Affinity JV. I always thought the pickups sounded great as they were, so I had the idea of doing a Warwick Jazzman knock-off.

P1040728.

I'v also been thinking about the wiring. I already did a Series/parallel/split coil switch on the humbucker. I started thinking about doing an S1 variation that would put the neck pickup in series with the humbucker. I'd like to be able to do the S/P/SC switching of the humbucker while in Series with the neck pickup....is that doable? I haven't gone through actually drawing the diagram, but it should work....I think.

Which pickup should go first in the chain?

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Add a second switch for series/parallel?

And I don't think it matters which pickup comes first.

3. The idea is definitely doable.

The pickups do not "come first in the chain."
    In parallel, they are parallel, in series, it doesn't matter which pickup is the hot side and which is the ground side, they end up the same electrically.

$160 for a Delano P?
    I know that the most expensive 4 string P is $132, I'm not sure about the 5 string models. That doesn't seem right.

4. Go for it - I've always thought that the Sledgehammer was either an ode to or a rip off of a Thumb - why not go with Warwick style pickup config?

How is that bass, BTW? Balance and weight? What is the string spacing anyhow?

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    What I meant about the "chain" was if it mattered if one or the other comes first when in Series, relatively speaking from Hot to Ground. I know that Parallel doesn't matter.

I was quoted $160 from Best Bass Gear. It's also a special order item, they don't even have it on their site (only J and MM pickups, and those weird ovals). BBG is one of only 2 stores that sell Delano pickups in the states, according to Delano's site.

6. Wow, that's quite a difference in price between 4s and 5s then.:help:

Nope, the order doesn't matter in series.

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I have 2 of these suckers. One of them I did a $$ knockoff.
    P1040442.

That one is heavy at around 10-10.5 lbs. This one is slightly lighter at about 9.5.

The heavier one has no neck dive at all. This one does since the body is lighter, but not too much where it's annoying; it'll tug on the shirt a little if you use a suede or cloth strap. I got a smooth leather strap on this one and it's all good.

18mm string spacing

8. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Cool. A Jazzhammer. Do it.

9. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I would add another humbucker just below the neck. add some coil cut switches. holy crap, that would be a growly killer bass. :bassist:

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    see above...

11. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Wow, that's nice eastcoasteddie! You always do awesome mods, I seem to remember you doing a HH squier jazz which I was very impressed with at the time too. I dig your style!

12. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Jazzhammer. I like it!