Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how this gentleman fit his Bart pickup on Yamaha

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dooft11, May 9, 2005.

1. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
  2. I just did the same thing on my TRB 5. I used the M55CBC soapbars, which are the closest pickups Bart makes to the size of the Yamaha's, but leave about 1/8" gap on either end - which this person filled with something, from the looks of it.

I bought mine from the guy listed on the sales page of the Bartolini website.

3. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Thanks bro. that is a good news for me, so how is the sound, and are you using the stock pre?

4. I put in a Bartolini NTMB, 3 band EQ with the 3-way midrange switch (250, 500 & 800 hz), and the Active/Passive bypass. Also a coil splitter switch so I can select inner or outer coils, or both.

It's a huge improvement in sound and flexibility. Even in passive without the on-board eq, there is so much flexibility just in changing the pickup balance and switching coils.

I haven't gigged with it yet, will this next weekend, but I'm very pleased with what I hear in my living room.

If this is something you think you might want to do, let me know and I'll tell you all the gotcha's I ran into.

5. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Hey Walt

I was thinking of your recent project when I read this thread, and almost dropped you the link. I'm definitely interested in learning what your impressions are after your first time out with the "hot rod"

R

6. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    that is cool man
    mine was a TRB5PII i am still in research for something to work out the piezo- thinking of the U-retro or the new dtar board
    on my other project which i turned a wide 5 into 6
    i am thinking of rewire it
    the spec will be
    Bart soapbar x 2 ( existing )
    Bart Ntmb (existing)
    Mid select 250,500,800 (existing)
    and i will add in
    individual pickup series/sc/parallel mini switch (expensive on-on-on switch)
    Passive/Active push pull

but i yet to research on the volume bal of each mode
    i am afraid the output will be various when each individual pickup was switched to diff coil mode,

how do you guys think, do i need to put in any resistor before they go into the blend pot?

Help need..

the success of the 6ser project will lead to a major upgrade of the TRB

Thanks

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Cool man....I know the guy selling that bass, and I have seen that bass.

-Mike

8. Based on what I'm hearing on mine, I'm guessing there will be a percieved volume difference, not necessarily because there's an actual difference in volume, but because there will be more mids and/or bottom on one setting than another.

As to what to do about it, the only thing I remember from 3 years of high-school electronics classes is how to solder; sorry.

9. I did two rehearsals earlier this week, and three church services today, and I gotta say I am so pleased with the results of the Bartolini transplant. Great sound with all the eq set flat on both my Eden and the on-board pre; in fact, I left it in passive bypass all morning and it was great. Clear and present in the mix without being overbearing, no more disgusting barking sounds when I dig in and push it.

After two years of growing more and more unhappy with this bass, I'm definitely liking it again.

10. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Congrats Walt!! It's great to see you getting excited about that bass again :hyper:

Did you happen to take any pictures of the cavity pre & post upgrade?

I have a similar upgrade I'll be performing on a mid-80's Westone within the next couple of weeks. I don't know what to expect out of utilizing the stock p/u's with a Bart NTMB pre, but this is where the budget is on this project right now. If funds free up, I hope my bud will be wanting to spring for a set of Bart SB's to go with it ... but then again, maybe the stock p/u's will sound incredibly good with just the pre upgrade.

R

11. Sorry, didn't think of it. The Yamaha pre is all on one very nice circuit board cut just to the size & shape of the cavity, but I had to scrunch the Bartolini preamp to get it to fit; it's not very pretty...