Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How tight is the low B on a Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by King David, Dec 11, 2002.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    So, how tight is the low B on a Lakland 55-02?

2. This much (Holds hands apart).

Are you trying to compare it to some other bass? I've played on one. It works good.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Pretty damn tight.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As tight as that on any other bass with a 35-inch scale using the same strings.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    its tighter than garth brooks jeans

i played a couple at B.C. and it was fairly taught, Munji summed it up well in his post.

6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I guess I would like to see how it compares to a Fender Jazz, which is super floppy.

And how about to a stingray 5. That was pretty good (I didn't say the best).

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Just tighten it up. If you keep turning the tuner you will sooner or later go full circle back to the B. It will be SUPER tight :D

Honestly, its tuff to say. Everyone is different. You could play one with a great B and pickup the next and be really bad. In general they are all right. Not the best, but by no means the worse. Compared to the fender I'm sure its alittle better if the fender is really bad. However, I have had a couple of fender 5 string's that had very nice B's.

8. The only basses I know of with a better low B than a Lakland are a Roscoe (maybe - it's really close) or a Dingwall.

9. It's tighter than a SR5 or a Fender Roscoe Beck. But they are both 34" scale basses.

10. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    While the bass (and the scale length) will have some effect on this, you can control this with string choice. Either choose a brand of string that has the tension you want, or buy a heavier gauge B string. (Many string manufacturer's offer single Low B strings in different gauges).

jd

11. The brand of string is more important than the 35" scale. In my experience, Pedulla and D'Addario and La Bella Super Steps have good B's. BP mag did a shootout of strings in April 1996 which is archived, and they give the relative tensions and output of most strings available.

12. This thread had your name written all over it, huh Allan?

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had the 55-01 & the B was exceptionally tight!!!!

14. not78pbass said...

This thread had your name written all over it, huh Allan?

You know me too well, 78 :D

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Too bad you won't be able to hold a lawsuit against Lakland or the string brand for

A) completely damaging the neck because you couldn't tune it correctly (too tight)
    B) Your B string breaking and flying in to your face

Anyways, if you tuned it an octave up from the B.. it would be at the A string octave... my god.. that would sound horrible.. Yes it will be supertight but I don't know if you will be able to hold down the strings to fret the damn thing!!

DM :D