Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to AB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jul 30, 2003.

1. I am unsure where or how to AB two amps. For a gig in Sep. I might be using my amp and freakyfenders amp for the gig, as we have the same kind of amp, Ampeg B3158. How do you AB amps, and where can I get an AB box by september.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Usually when I think of "A/B" it's in comparing 2 pieces of equipment side-by-side, by using one, and then the other.

Are you trying to split your signal into 2 seperate amps and use 2 amps at the same time for more volume?

3. Well, an A/B Box can be used for A-B comparisons, but you'd need an ABY box, so that both of the amps will be used at the same time.Just put the two outputs to the two amps, your bass to the single input, set it to "A AND B" and you're there dude...An ABY box will run you about 50+ depending on where you shop....

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wouldnt bother with an A/B box. Save your money.

Instead, plug your bass one amp, then use the balanced line out to go the input of the other amp.

5. Hmm, now all I need is a female xlr to 1/4 inch cable. But would I need a balanced cable or a studio cable...or what?

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    just a balanced one is what you need. you can get these at guitar center and all kinds of places.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd just use a mic cable.......

8. Shaz, tomorrow morning when i show up to your house, just ask me what you need, and what you want to do, and i can let you borrow all the thing you will need. And will you be playing a Mellor Instrument fretless at this gig?

9. But of course, but it wont be till sep 20th, so I have time. And in about half a year I will be able to afford my next rig. Ampeg b2 head, 2 4x10 avatar cabs, korg tuner, big equalizer, and a power conditioner, and my compressor, allllll right