1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to achieve the Fender MIM satin neck finish on an unfinished neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BusyFingers, Jan 24, 2017.

1. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    The neck in question is sealed, I'm sure, but it's bare otherwise. I hate the feel of a bare neck, and am pretty sure it will simply get dirty eventually if not properly finished.

I love the satin neck finish on the backs of the Fender MIM offerings because with use they develop this nice, natural gloss which makes the necks even faster to play.

How can that be achieved? Is there a particular product I can buy that will reproduce that kind of finish?

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Use a satin poly clear. That's what Fender does to achieve what you're looking for.

3. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Is there a particular product that you could recommend?

4. Minwax makes good finishes. One spray can should be plenty for a neck. Just make sure to mask everything you don't want the finish on.

5. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Do you mean in general, or is there a specific minwax satin finish that will achieve the same kind of finish as the Fender MIM necks?

Minwax has polyurethan, urethane, polycrylic, and lacquer versions of satin finish. Then some of them are high gloss.

6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I use minwax gloss poly spray for a couple of thin coats. Then I sand off the nubs with 800 grit sandpaper and use one thin coat of minwax satin poly spray. Works great - seals the neck enough, but doesn't build up much thickness, and the texture is right. I use the gloss first because it give a tough first couple of coats.

Warhawk likes this.
  7. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    So this looks and feels like the mim necks?

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It's a satin finish - the feel is the same. The way I do it, it's a thinner finish, but you can build it thicker if you want.

9. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I'm bumping this thread because there seems to be conflicting answers.

Anyone know what I mean and know how to nail the MIM satin finish you find on Fender Mexican necks?