1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to add a cab to an old Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snyderz, Mar 14, 2008.

1. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have an old Peavey TNT 130. There are no plugs on the back, only the front panel. I don't know how I can add a cab. There is a crossover section with a 'high out' and 'low out', and a section for 'amp in' and 'pre out'. I have added a combo by using an instrument cable to one of the 'outs' in the crossover section, but would like to just run an extension cab. Is this possible? Thanks

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If there is no extension cabinet output it's because your amp is already running at its lowest rated impedance into the internal speaker. Check the owner's manual (you should be able to find it on line) to be sure, but that's the way it usually works. Your only option for more power and speaker area is to do what you've already done--go from the output of the preamp, probably the low out, to another amp. Check the owners manual to find out more.

3. Yeah '62 bass' is completely right. NO extension cabinet for these TNT Peaveys. All you can do, which already has been mentioned is to use the "Pre Out', patched to another amp or a pre amp.

However, I do know how to get around this delimma, but its very time-consuming.. plus the internal speaker will be by-passed completely. In essence the TNT 130 will become an 'amp head' powering an external cab.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Thanks guys!

5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I have a TNT 130. I did an outdoor jazz/ wedding-band-type-rock gig and it did admirably. I've also heard one run live and was surprised at how well it did. That 15 throws-- you might just want to trust it alone on some gigs with the understanding that you won't hear it as well as say tens on stage.

Also, if you still do the slave combo thing, you can turn the crossover fully low and that'll be a full range signal out of the "high" output.

Cheers.

Edit: I see you play blues... if you have a tube guitar amp, you could probably get some sick overdrive to sweeten up the tone by using a guitar combo. Play with the gain and the xover point...

you're making me want to get out and play with my Peavey!

6. What??? You took your TNT 130 OUTSIDE!! I am pretty surprised to hear this.. Even thou I have a well-maintained Peavey 150..(but 'outside?) I'd never considered taking a bass combo with less than 300 watts outside.. but I guess like you just stated: "those 15" throw!" ha ha ha!! :D Now you have gotten ME inspired to fool around with my TNT tonight too.. thanks