1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to add more color tones?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by deecher99, Apr 1, 2009.

1. deecher99

deecher99

Mar 27, 2009
    Let me give you all a little bit of background on my theory background before I pose my question. On major and minor chords, I generally play the root, the 3rd (flat 3rd), 4th, 5th, and octave. These are very safe notes, and once in a while I'll play the 2nd and a flattened 7th here and there. I guess when I'm playing a major chord, I tend to always play the mixolydian mode.

My band is pretty good, but our chord structures don't veer too far off the path of, say, G Em D Am. Rarely does anyone say we're playing a Cm7 or something like that. I know my piano player will add a 7th as a color tone but he never knows when, he just does it as he feels it. And I have no idea how to apply some of the other modes since it seems we play in either major or minor mode.

I definitely feel that I can get a lot out of what I'm playing now, but if anyone has any additional ideas for my predicament, I'm all ears. Oh, I guess I never asked a question: please help? :confused:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Obviously the more you learn about theory, the easier it is to figure out how to use the color tones. Also, learning how to make walking basslines in a jazz context is an excellent way to work more color into your tones. When you first start doing it, expect to play a few things that sound wack. But just remember what sounds wack and what sounds cool and try to do the cool things more often ;)