Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to advertise my band locally?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    anyone got any good ideas for advertising your band locally?

i've been going nuts on www.myspace.com. it's paid off well. probably got an average of 5 people out to each show. any other websites that get people's butts in the door? any ideas?

2. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    A big-time producer/promoter I know has recommended to a friend's band to build a good relationship with a couple of venues, and try to bring as many people as you can to those couple venues. As more people start to see you, hopefully more people will start showing up to your gigs. As this builds, the venue will take a liking to you and offer to pay you a little bit. Once you're getting a good number of people for that venue, start booking gigs at another place or two, and get crowds there.

You need fliers everywhere, business cards to hand out with your band website and such are nice too, just throw them at people. Give away demos (only if they sound good, though).

Of course, no one will come if you aren't good. So make damn sure that you're good. This can be a super-long process, especially if your band isn't tight.

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Going to established jams(not the acoustic ones) with a full setup is a dandy way to get exposure also. You never know who is sitting in the crowd.

Last time we went to one the bar manager of a bar we already play at(30 miles away) was in the crowd.

Hope this helps,