1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to apply a waterslide to a Warmoth neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Chef, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Can someone give me step by step on how to apply a waterslide decal to a warmoth neck?

thx-alan

2. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just did this a few days ago!

Here's how I did it:

1) Print the decal, then do a spray coat to seal it (acrylic or polyurethane).

2) Cut it out with sharp scissors. I left 3-5 mm of clear border around the decal.

3) Get a shallow dish, fill with water and set your decal in it. It should easily peel off the backing in about a minute.

4) Carefully pull out (with clean fingers) and carefully place on the neck. You need to have a layer of smooth finish on the neck - don't apply to bare wood.

5) Take a damp cloth and dab out air bubbles from under the decal. I used a rolling motion over the decal, working from the center outward, to press the decal onto the neck and remove bubbles. Take some time to do this. Make sure the cloth is wet, so it won't stick to the decal.

6) Don't touch it for a day or so it can dry and set.

I'm in the process of using wipe-on poly to finish the neck. after every coat, I'm buffing down with 0000 steel wool. I've noticed that the edge is getting less apparent with each coat - I've read from others that the edge will totally disappear.

Hope this helps. Also, I'm pretty much just a hack compared to a lot of the guys on here, so hopefully they'll chime in too.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Dean: thx! What wipe on poly did you use?

The warmoth neck this is going on is pre-finished, not bare, here's a pic of the headstock, and bass...
    51TeleP_5.
    51TeleP_4.

4. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm using Minwax Wipe-On Polyurethane on a Warmoth birdseye/bridseye J neck.

I put two coats on initially over the sealer that the neck came with (mine came unfinished from Warmoth, but they seal all their necks), and put the decal over that.

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    10-4...