1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How To Approach Music With Rapidly Changing, Odd Time Signatures?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HG1180, Jul 17, 2020.

1. I am currently attempting to learn 43% Burnt By Dillinger Escape Plan
    which has time signatures in it such as 8/8, 12/8, 4/8, etc..
    I have a few years of semi formal music training but I havent exactly encountered something as odd as this before, so I would like to ask for the help of someone who is much more experienced in this sort of thing than me.

Here is a set of tabs that I found, Im not sure if the actual tab is accurate but the time signatures are
    43% Burnt Tab by The Dillinger Escape Plan - Track 3 - Slap Bass 2 | Songsterr Tabs with Rhythm

Thank You!

2. I think the trick to counting is not counting, if that makes sense. It's more about feeling it instead of counting it for me. I guess I think of it as assembling bars and sections like lego bricks in my head. More of a string of notes. In my band, we write without thinking about the time signature. Sometimes we have to map out rhythms on a white board for syncopation purposes. I realize that this probably doesn't help much and I apologize. I'd say it just takes practice. Use the tabs as reference for playing along with the recording.

Here's an example of some of the stuff that we bang together.

On a side note, we actually played with DEP once. Their set was nonstop crazy!

TolerancEJ and HG1180 like this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Lucky you: So long as all those denominators are at a uniform tempo, all you really need to think about are the subdivisions...and not (necessarily) the barlines.
    iow, a piece that is barred 8/8, 12/8, 4/8 quite possibly could be subdivided as 2+2+2+2+3+3+3+3+2+2
    Here's that same subdivision scheme with barlines inserted: 2+2+2+2+|3+3+3+3+|2+2|
    ...but those barlines aren't necessarily telling you anything about how to play the piece; the subdivisions are.

Now, if there's a metric modulation going on...e.g., if the 12/8 is a compound meter with dotted quarters = quarters from the previous 8/8 bar ...all bets are off and yer screwed. :)

Eventually, yes.

4. The tempo fluctuates quite frequently in the song and by a margin of about 30ish BPM i would say. I suppose if i practice it long enough i’ll eventually get it but by god... it is one hell of a song to learn.

RumbleBot likes this.
  5. Yeah. I lot of it is running it until it's muscle memory. Takes a lot of patience.

Seashore likes this.
  6. Break it into phrases and take it a step at a time. I find that really careful counting helps me understand weird polymeters more quickly and get to the "just feel it" stage faster.

RumbleBot likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020