1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to artificially age new strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Blue_Whistle88, Mar 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I know some people boil their old strings to make them sound new/bright again, but I'm actually looking at achieving the opposite effect. Why? Because I use Rotosound Swing 66 strings, and they happen to sound great once they're fully worn in (I have medium action, often play hard, and hate the excessive string noise that often accompanies new strings).

I usually get them into the desired state within ~1 month of daily playing/practice, but I'm looking for a process that could accelerate things a bit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    turn your tone knob down a little bit?

Omega Monkey, ICM, joebar and 10 others like this.
  3. Collect your sweat and soak the strings in them for two days.

4. No but in all seriousness, just play the bass everyday for about an hour. Rotosounds die really quickly so it shouldn't be a problem to age them within a month.

5. Colinos5

Colinos5

Jan 12, 2013
    Netherlands
    Wanting to quickly age your strings... The very thing I always try to fight. Well, yeah old strings sounds like that because they fill up with sweat, dirt and dead skin cells from your hands. I guess if you wanted to speed up that process you'd need dirty hands and play your bass with them. How about you go to the gym and lift some weights, or do some other chores that requires handwork, and then play for while. Combine that with a little slapping to get a bit of tension out of the strings too. You should be noticing a difference within a week. You could also stroke them for a while just while watching tv or something. The strings should scrape dead skin cells from your hands. (after you get the desired effect you might want to wipe your strings a bit. Won't hurt the sound because the stuff is inside your string, but it plays a little better after that.)

hover likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Vaseline

spaz21387 likes this.
  7. Here's a post by one TBer from another thread.

In order to avoid having it totally taken out of context, please do note that @BadHairDay is talking about gunking up a set of flats to achieve the old-school "James Jamerson Vibe". This may not be the best method for artificially aging a set of rounds.

ICM, spaz21387 and wisconsindead like this.
  8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    This
    Dosent age them per say but takes alot of the newness out of them.
    Eucerin hand lotion works well.
    What I found works best is oily hair, rub your hands through it and wipe it on the strings and play.

Blue_Whistle88 and Linnin like this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Afro-Sheen, Baby!

Shortie, Esoge and shawshank72 like this.
  10. This only assuming you actually have hair to rub your hands through. :D:D:D

Also, make sure you understand we're talking about your own hair, not about rubbing your hands through one of your female vocalists' hair. ;););)

11. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I don't have hair.
    I used my teenagers hair haha

12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Afro-Sheen, Baby!

13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Just let your soul glow!

14. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Put some WD-40 on a cloth and wipe them down.

Zing gone.

Blue_Whistle88 likes this.
  15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    some deadening - sweat
    real dead - blood

pharfenagen likes this.
  16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If you want to age them, why are you changing them?

17. Strings break, dude.

That said, to the OP, if you're a heavy player, maybe double your rehearsal/practice time? If they're really new, maybe spend a bit more time gently turning your tuning pegs a full step up and down before and after practice?

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Only if you boil them, you have some sort of crazy playing technique, or there's something wrong with them or your bass. I've never known anyone to break a bass string because it was old.

Omega Monkey, joebar and Justinian like this.
  19. Then you're lucky. I've had strings break, for none of the reasons you mentioned. Anyways, let's agree to disagree and not hijack the OP's thread.

20. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Someone suggested blood, let me second that, it kills your strings in a few minutes.

Justinian likes this.